need advice on a laptop under $1200

juztyn

Gawd
Ok guys, being a desktop guy for a long time, well its time to move to a laptop. I'm parting out my desktop so I can get some cash for the laptop. Ideally It needs to be around $1000. $1400 is the absoute horrid max if needed. I want a desktop replacement, something powerful enough to play games smoothly on. Portablility is not a big problem, as long as its under 20lbs. :D I would like 128megs of vram, but maybe im hoping for a bit much. Im a amd fan, so i sure wouldnt mind going with an athlon, but whatevers better for my price range. Im planning on buying used (off ebay or whatnot) unless you convince me otherwise. ex: i saw a alienware 2.8 p4 with 128mg radeon 9600 for about $1400 with buy it now. a little more than i want to spend but thats about what im looking for. 15" screen at least, on the hard drive, 40gigs, not a big issue, speed and price over size. To give you an idea of what games ill be playing, here's what i normally play:
a lot of quake3 based games (mohaa, jedi outcast, jedi academy, sof2, etc...)
knights of the old republic
bf1942
and some older stuff i know will run fine...
thats about it, im not asking to run at 1600x1200 with all options, just want to be able to run it smootly. already have xp, os is not a problem either. only need cdrw/dvd, dont need dvdrw or anything. um i think thats it. what would you guys recommend in the $1000+ range? like i said $1400 is the absolute max i can go but cheaper is always better for me. sorry for making this post so long, just wanted to be sure i covered everything im looking for. Thanks for the [H]elp!!!

I got a HP laptop refurb on boxing day
$1000 CAD plus tax, plus i spent $65 and bought 256mb more ram

i'm not sure if your talking $1200CAD or USD, prob usd though...
I'd say to definetly get a althon, as they cost significantly less than Intel ones ususally do. I have a 64mb shared Radeon 320M. Even though it's a kinda sucky card, my cpu is althon 2200xp, 512mb ram, 40gb hd, i can do most games fine.

Quake 3 runs good
GTA: vice city werkz good too.

However, if your wanting to do quite a bit of gaming, go for a non-shared ram video card, 64mb & 128mb ram on your vid card will make no noticeable difference, so it isn't worth going out of your way to get one.

Used laptops can be good, but make sure it is in good condition, no small cracks or nothing, as small cracks quickly become large ones, etc etc.

any other models recommended? you dont think 64 and 128 will make a diff? I thought a lot of dx9 stuff used the extra (bf1942???)...

try dell referbished, i picked up an inspiron 8600 with 1.4 pentium m and ati 9000 for $1009 after cupon codes... btw the 9000 runs almost anything out there fairly well :)

Back