Need advice on a DSLR

My wife loves taking extreme close ups and nature shots and I need to get her a good inexpensive camera able to do that, most cameras do OK.But without paying 900 dollars for a DSLR right now what if any options are there?

Can you tell us a little more about the subjects your wife is photographing? Is she taking pictures of butterflies on larger flowers, or trying to get a bumblebee to fill the entire photo? Describe to us what the subjects are, what approximate size they are in real life, and how much of the photo they are filling up. What camera is she using now?

The interesting thing about getting a subject to fill the entire photo is that we don't want to be concerned about how close we are to that subject, but about the camera or lens reproduction ratio when focused(or zoomed) at the closest point.

That importance comes in when you look at some of the current P&S that focus to 1 inch, but they accomplish that at there widest view. So what you get is your are 1 inch away from that butterfly, but it only fills 1/8 of the picture. And alternatively when your zoomed in all the way you have to be 3 feet away, so the butterfly still only fills an 1/12 of the picture. Now these are hypothetical numbers, but this is what I went through with my sister buying her cameras, before I understood the reproduction ratio in macro photography. None of the cameras did what she wanted, she wanted the tiny subject to fill the frame fully.

Give us a little more info, and we can get you pointed in a direction. Maybe with what she takes, a normal canon P&S like the Canon Elph 110 HS, might fill all her needs. Just need a bit more info to see if your wife's usage patterns falls out of the standard feature ranges.

Yeah I see what you mean, my wife wants to be able to get 1 inch from something the size of a butterfly or say a rose and fill the screen and be able to capture all the details. But she would like to be able to take a good picture of a sunset and get a good resolution picking up the colors she sees as well.

My wifes current camera you have to be 1-3 feet away to get the picture to even take the picture.

Back