• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Advice on 16x12 LCD

Russ

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
1,875
Edit: Ok, let's make this easier for you to reply. Poll time! Choices are A, B, C, and D.
A: Samsung 204T
B: ViewSonic VP2000S
C: Sceptre X20G-Naga II
D: Other (please specify)
Please vote at least!


I'm going to purchase a 1600x1200 LCD soon, and I need advice on which one I should get. It will be used for gaming. I don't do photo editing or any of that other stuff. And I don't play fps's that much that I think I need lower than a 16ms response time.

I want it to be cheap, and I'm fine with 16 ms response time.

the two ones that I am mainly debating are the

Samsung 204T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001193
$550

ViewSonic VP2000S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116367
$560 - $50 MIR

The main differences that I see are in three areas:
Samsung 204T
Viewing Angle 178°/178°
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1

ViewSonic VP2000S
Viewing Angle 176°(H) / 176°(V)
Brightness 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 400:1

Now, these are both pretty expensive imho, so I was also looking at Sceptre (which one of my friends is planning on buying soon):

Sceptre X20G-Naga II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112158
$490
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 170°(V)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1

The only problem is that a lot of people say that this monitor doesn't actually have a 16ms response time, that in reality it seems higher. There also seem to be a lot of problems with getting a good working monitor.

-------

Which would you guys recommend? Are there any others that are cheaper?

And I REALLY don't want to spend more than the 204T. It seems like a real quality monitor, spending more doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks!
 
I bought the 204T last night from BB. What a differece over my Dell 2001FP. The Dell was garbage with back light issues and my blacks looked milky, going on the UPS truck today. I called Dell to return since I only had it for a couple of days and told them that it was defective, do you believe the idiot on the phone said I had to pay for shipping! You can find the 204T cheaper at ZipZoom but if you want to return it they charge for shipping back and 15% restocking fee. Here I can just go to any BB and drop it off. The only thing I will miss from the Dell will be the USB ports. The Dell stand is alo cheaper looking.
 
I recommend the 2001fp. I completely disagree with the above post, I have seen the Dell next to that Samsung, and while the Samsung might have slightly better blacks, the Dell has better color, a much more solid build quality, and is overall a dream of a screen.

Then again, I'm lucky, I got one with no backlighting issues.
 
D) other BenQ Fp2091 or Dell FP2001, I have both, except the Dell came with some dead pixels where as the benQ didnt :S

edit: also I lent my friend th 2001fp while i wasnt using it, he claimed to have backlight issues and washy blacks, I havnt had it next to the benQ do decide(both have same panel) But I Generaly like the BenQ more
 
the only problem with the 2001FP is that it is quite expensive on Dell.com now. Where can I get it cheap?

And I'll look into that BenQ thanks!

Yea, I meant to look on ZZF for prices too, but forgot about it when I was making this thread. the prices I used include shipping btw.
 
Russ said:
the only problem with the 2001FP is that it is quite expensive on Dell.com now. Where can I get it cheap?

And I'll look into that BenQ thanks!

Yea, I meant to look on ZZF for prices too, but forgot about it when I was making this thread. the prices I used include shipping btw.

eBay for under $500
 
NulloModo said:
eBay for under $500

would rather not use ebay as I'm not 18 and therefore have no credit card, just a debit. And if I used ebay then I wouldn't feel safe unless I was using an empty checking account that was only filled with enough money to buy one thing at a time. That's too much work for me.

-----

ZZF didn't have cheaper than $550 for the 204T It was the same price infact (because newegg has free shipping on it right now as zzf does).

The BenQ was greater than $550 except for a place called "uBid" in an auction that's now closed.

2001FP is $750

There's a deal on the 2005FPW for 35% off, bringing it quite low. However, that would be less than 1600x1200 and a weird res, so I don't think I want that.

I think I'm gonna say screw the $40 (in MIR) and buy the 204T. the quality on it seems to be superb, and that's a very big plus.

edit: and any money that Dell doesn't get is well spent imho.
 
Back
Top