Need advice/help with setting up qos

Hey guys, I thought setting up qos would help prioritize my network and prevent any problems with bandwith sharing but have not seen much improvement with it enabled. First off my hardware, I have a WRT54g v3.1 flashed to DD-WRT v23 sp2 micro (no point in going further with the other versions for me) and have 3 computers and a 360.

I'm mainly concerned about the performance of the 360 and Live since I get in a good amount of action with COD4 online and need it to run as smooth as possible. There are 2 laptops connected wirelessly and 1 PC connected via ethernet along with the 360. One of the laptops does do some heavy dl'ing with torrents (Linux ISOs) and HTTP (demos, patches, etc). The other laptop and the pc are youtubers and myspacers so they also take up some bandwith as well.

As far as my connection limits go I have DSL that tops out at 300KB/s download and 50KB/s upload. I have limited my download and upload on the torrent client at 100KB/s down and 20KB/s up. The problem is that I can't control anything that comes from the browser and so it tends to just eat up as much bandwith as it can get and that brings Live to its knees with 1-2 bars in COD4. If someone gets on youtube or myspace to do some streaming it'll start to dip and worse if two computers do the same thing then it'll lag terribly.

I'm fed up with this so I attempt to set up qos on the router and here's what I come up with...

31001896cw4.th.jpg

The crossed out mac address is the Xbox and ports 3 and 4 are the same as 1 and 2 for port priority. I figured all I'd have to do is set the Xbox to have higher precedence than everything else which I think that's what I'm doing here and I'll have no problems but I don't see any improvement at all. Any activity with web browsers still take up all the bandwith and it doesn't throttle to compensate for the 360's bandwith needs.

I'm relatively new to qos so am not sure how to make it work in my favor. If anyone has any tips or suggestions please feel free to chime in.

Back