Need advice for good wire sleaving.

Bgrngod

Limp Gawd
So I bought the Antec Neopower 480w PSU and for some reason was under the impression the wiring was sleaved like the Ultra X-Connect. But I was wrong it is not :confused:
SO...now I get to learn how to sleave wires! YAY.....
Any advice for brand names? I would like UV reactive sleaves, hopefully the kind that will shrink down instead of staying open like some I have seen. I think these are just the mesh kind instead of the solid plastic pieces.
I plan on sleaving the 4 pin wires and I think I can just run one giant sleave the entire length of the wire, and cut holes in the sides where I want a 4 pin connecter to exit. Can I just melt the mesh with a lighter or something at these holes to keep it from catching on stuff and fraying? Or will a lighter melt it to fast....maybe the tip of a soldering iron? Does this stuff actually shrink if you use a hair dryer to apply it? Or is this a bad idea? Hopefully I can get some orange colors and sleave everything up to make it look all neat and orderly.
Anyways...just a few simple questions. Probably going to hit up Fry's tomorrow and see what kind of mesh stuff I can get, but any suggestions would be great.
Kyle B.

Jab-Tech has a good selection of cable sleeving products.
Never treid heat shrinking mesh sleeving. Couldnt say how well that would work or if it would. If you want a solid sleeve, stay with heat shrink tubing. Easy to shrink with a good blow dryer or heat gun if you have it. Lighters will leave black marks on colored sleeving so avoid that if possible.

The mesh itself doesn't shrink with heat. It's flexible, increasing in diameter with the ends are pushed together and shrinking in diameter when the ends are pulled away from each other. If you try to shrink it using heat, it'll melt and burn. I don't recommend it. It's pretty slick stuff, so it doesn't snag on many things. Any damage to it that way would almost have to be intentional. Just follow the guides that are out there are you'll be okay. I sleeved one of my PSU's with very little prior knowledge and no guide, back when kits weren't even available. I agree that FrozenCPU and Xoxide both have a good selection of sleeving products.

Gotta go with the above post about cableorganizer dot com. You can buy what you want buy the foot, including heat shrink tubing. Broad selection, good pricing, and good service. I have ordered from them twice. They take all forms of payment including Paypal. You cant go wrong there.

For the UV Reactive heat shrink sleaving do you have to remove the Molexes? I had trouble with my molex remover damaging the molex pins from my last psu and it seems like the molexes don't come off very easily with my new neopower either.

Yer gonna have to remove the molex. The other alternative is to remove it from the business end of the PSU.

Side note: Do people use heat-shrink for the majority of their sleeving? I thought the stuff was rather inflexible once it had "shrunk."

I'm going to use the expandible nylon sleeving for my current clean-up with the heatshrink on the ends of that to make it look neat and get rid of the frays.

Back