• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice for a possible upgrade

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,834
A friend of mine has a P4 2Ghz with 512Mb PC2700. He likes playing City of Heroes but the vid card is a measly Gforce 4 MX440 AGP 8X. He says he gets alot of choppy game play during rather stressful scenes, but im not sure if it would be worth upgrading to an X800Pro or something similar. I also recommended him to add another stick of PC2700 to make it a gig and he was interested in doing so. My question is, if i were to upgrade his rig to an X800Pro/6800GT and add another 512 stick of ram, would it be worth it or would the proc be holding him back too much to see much improvement?

Thanks alot in advance

Chris
 
Budwise said:
A friend of mine has a P4 2Ghz with 512Mb PC2700. He likes playing City of Heroes but the vid card is a measly Gforce 4 MX440 AGP 8X. He says he gets alot of choppy game play during rather stressful scenes, but im not sure if it would be worth upgrading to an X800Pro or something similar. I also recommended him to add another stick of PC2700 to make it a gig and he was interested in doing so. My question is, if i were to upgrade his rig to an X800Pro/6800GT and add another 512 stick of ram, would it be worth it or would the proc be holding him back too much to see much improvement?

Thanks alot in advance

Chris

Well I play CoH so I will try to help. As you can see from my signature that my computer is fairly fast, but I need the 7800GTX because I run CoH at 1920 x 1200 with 4x AF and 4x AA. The newer video card should defenitely help with his choppiness. The new memory will be a nice addition too, but if I only had to choose one upgrade I would go for the newer vid card.

Edit: I am a little tired: but what I am trying to say is that CoH seems to be more video card dependent than processor dependent. However, knowing the settings he wishes to use in game helps too. I actually played CoH for several months on a 6600GT @ 1920 x 1200 with no AF or AA and it ran very well. Once I got the 7800GTX and cranked the the AF and AA up the game looks phenominal. Thus, at 1600 x 1200 or less, I think he would be very happy with even a 6600GT if he is on a budget.
 
Back
Top