Need advice, can anyone help today? Need to place order soon! First timer...

MachNine

n00b
Skip ahead if you don't care for a story

Hey everybody, true noob here. I know my way around a computer (programmer/game designer) but this is my first ever build and first liquid cooled computer. I purchased everything on the fly (21 hrs research starting out knowing nothing) to use immediately on a 3D design/Iray rendering project so I may have made a mistake going with the corsair H110. I'm currently overclocked at 4.8Ghz and would like to go even higer but I cant sustain 100% cpu usage for more than a few short minutes because the Vcore temp is going through the roof.

I currently dont have a good fan on it as the 3 pin fans that came with my case arn't PWM so air is barely moving but after a little looking around I think I definitely want to do a full liquid cooled set up in order to speed things up and run at 100% for days rendering video. The board has a decent heat sink but I don't want to have all the noise it would take to cool it properly 24hrs a day for days at a time. I also don't want to hit the limit of air cooling and then wish I had just gone for it in the first place. How high can this thing go?

So heres my setup followed by a few questions, thank you so much in advance, some of you have already helped me plenty.

• Corsair C70 case
  • Seasonic 1000w 80+ Platinum
  • Asus Sabertooth X79
  • Intel Core i7 3930k
  • 32GB Corsair Dominator GT ram
  • Two GTX 780's
  • Corsair H110

So first off the H110 worked way better than expected, hasn't seen much over 50C yet. But my VRM temp is scary high I have to pull it back when it hits 90.
Once I decided I wanted to properly cool this thing I also decided against trying to mod the H110 (the fittings look small and the line rests on the sharp heat sink of my ram I could move it over a bit but the top of the C70 likes it where it is) So I decided to toss the H110 and properly liquid cool everything! :D

I want to liquid cool the CPU, both GPU's, and the VRM! Its exciting just writing/thinking about it :)
So the CPU and GPU cooling seem pretty straight forward and it seems silly (for me) to cool the ram or chipset on the lower half of the board which is coverd up by the GPU's anyhow. But the VRM area is giving me trouble. I am having a very hard time finding information on this. Is it strictly the mosfets that need cooling? There is a plate on the back of the X79 Sabertooth as well that also gets very hot. Are there any solutions that cool it from both sides or is that not needed?

I love the look of the XSPC waterblocks for the GPU's and CPU minus the led's because I have a hard time adding anything flashy or unnecessary. But then it dawned on me, maybe I could replace them with UV leds to prevent algae growth. Turns out, they are UV's :cool: And I also love the look of their new Pump/Resevoir combo that will fit nicely into my front 5.25 bays. And their EX 280mm and 240mm rads looks like they would fit my case (Top and front respectively)
And it looks like there is a package that contains some of what I need.

So the theme for my build is all black :D its a black case with a military style look and I'm loving it. All PCB's in the case are black, the heatsinks (fins) for the ram will be black, all cabling, etc. So I was thinking black piping but as a digital artist i knew it might look way more interesting with clear lines with black coolant inside. Turns out there was such a thing and it glows under UV lighting! I think this build could come out truly awesome. For me flash is ok as long as you can literally turn it off lol. I think the lights and colors are cool, just not for me.
It also is non conductive which will help me sleep at night thinking that a leak wont kill thousands of dollars of days old hardware... And the black color will also help prevent algae which is from what I read the build up some people see and think its the dye in their coolant (the clear ones can go cloudy too, its algae, its hard to get rid of and can grow almost anywhere there is light which is also why I think the black is a good idea, to prevent photosynthesis lol.)
But theres also that aurora coolant that looks cool and I wonder if it looks good in black. Plus I think that aurora shampoo look would look crazy awesome if it was UV reactive and I could see waves of light moving through the machine. But they warn about mixing different things into the coolant so I'm not sure yet, I'll have to look around a bit more but I was hoping to place the orders asap so any info would be a huge help.
So here it is

1. Will one EX 280mm and one EX 240mm radiator do the job?
  2. Will their new and improved dual bay pump/resevoir combo do the job? Pump Performance: 750 lph, Head Delivery: 1.8m
  3. Is the package worth it to save money? Or am I better off picking my own lines and fittings etc?
  4. Who makes the best VRM waterblock for this board Sabertooth X79, I'm afraid of fitting issues. And is front and back cooling needed or possible? Does it come in black?
  5. Any thoughts on the coolant?
  6. As a noob, is there anything I'm likely to forget to order?
  7. And does anyone want to see it when its done :D

Can I post some links to the products on here or will it be considered spam? I know I've been harping alot on XSPC.

Oh yea, anyone wanna buy a "like new" H110? Like 2 days old new...

Thanks again

1) Are you looking to OC just a CPU and GPU? If so then yes
2) If you want a dual bay pump/res, get the one with the D5
3) That is honestly personal preference
4) NO experience on this, however if the manuf. lists it as compatible for your board, then it will work
5) Dont use it, get UV Black tubing, or since your looking at a military look, check out neoprene.
6) Just remember 2 fittings per block, enough tubing, a block fr everything you want to cool.
7) We are always ready to look at WC Pr0n.

Thanks for the quick response W.Feather
  1. I am overclocking the CPU hoping for over 5Ghz but 5 is good enough if thats as high as I get, still very new at this. And both GTX 780's will be clocked as far as they can go, they seem to only be limited by temperature. And I'd like to speed up the ram a bit if I can but thats not my biggest concern. Hoping the 2 rads will be enough because this is getting expensive fast and I've spent enough money for one week.......................
  2. Yes D5 combo
  3. Weighing the options now on to package or buy individually, looks like individual might be the way to go.
  4. I'm looking at Koolance and EK http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c293/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Block_Mosfet_Volt_Reg.html
  5. Yea the aurora's are definitely out of the question due to flow issues but its a slightly different look I'm going, heres what I mean https://plus.google.com/photos/105728238931891032133/albums/5339095911102845729?banner= I think it looks great, black tubing doesn't quite have the same appeal imho and I like the idea of the coolant glowing, Id feel more comfortable being able to see a drip forming.... Neoprene would be a great idea if I was going for a true military hardware look but theres no camo on this rig and it wasn't made by the lowest bidder. Still a computer to me and a damn sexy one at that. There will be PrOn :D That being said.... is there any non conductive non corrosive black UV coolants that might be better than any other?
  6. I am just now looking at fittings wondering if it would be wise to get any rotaries or quick disconnects expecially if I might have to flush now and then... Also not sure how the SLI fittings work... and the length from one to another... is it different for different boards?
Thanks almost ready to pull the trigger, need to sleep for a few will check back a little later.

Ill save you some money. Dont watercool the motherboard, not necessary. You also dont need dual pumps. And 99cent distilled water from the grocery store is the best coolant.

What are you talking about sok0. I'm new remember? Please explain.

Dont watercool the motherboard? Are you talking about the VRM? I am not using a i5 quad core, I've got a 6 Core with one VRM area that takes up around half as much surface area as yours... Are you telling me to air cool? Even though I'm installing a custom loop for the 2 GPU's and CPU and the only high temp issue I'm having currently is the VRM?.... I'll hear any good suggestion but that post in its current state isn't helping me make my decision by today... Maybe some good info on what speeds at what temps are possible on a hexacore with just air cooling....

Also, do you mean to say no need to use 2 radiators? Cause as far as I know the XSPC dual 5.25 bay pump/reservoir combo is one pump and one reservoir that takes up 2 of the 5.25 inch spaces in your case that could hold things like a blu ray drive... But hey I'm the noob, I could be wrong.

And lastly yes I think I understand your argument on using distilled water. But I'm just afraid about leaving it running at 100% for 48, 72, or even 96 hrs at a time. Iray rendering is a decent stress test... its essentially a light simulation that attempts to trace each photon to render an accurate result.... Think of it as running Prime for days. As far as I know a single drop of water could short my board.... Wouldn't non conductive fluids add an inexpensive safety buffer to a multi thousand dollar machine I will be relying upon for work? (Not just a gaming rig and performance = time and money)

So thank you for your response sok0 but could you please elaborate?

Are your VRM's really holding your OC back though? They are designed to run above 90c .... The watercooling of a motherboard is typically overkill, and unneccesary with todays motherboards.

No, i beleive sak0 was confused, you will need more than one radiator to cool a CPU, 2x GPU's, and potentially a motherboard.

What is your worry with distilled water? Distilled water is non-conductive, and does as good as, or better, than any of the non conductive fluids.

Awesome answer W.Feather, Sorry if I was harsh sok0. I haven't been sleeping much all this internet searching on top of rushing to do this job....

I havn't seen any great info on what these mosfets will do 24/7 at a constant high temp I also don't know if that much heat is bad for surrounding area but I'm very intrigued by what you guys are saying. I guess I could keep the H110 on there for the moment and just to a 240mm rad for the GPU's and see how cool I can get the Vcore temp down with a fan. Whats the best way to get air on there? The C70 has two spots on the side glass for 120 or 140mm fans but the glass has a strong honeycomb pattern. I feel like AF is what I need but on those would SP be better? Is it best to direct air straight down at it like a CPU fan would? Or to hit it from the side.

| | | |
\/ \/ \/ \/
Straight down at it like CPU fan would
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

----------------------
============ <-----
============ <----- Same direction as fins
============ <-----
----------------------

What fans do you suggest. Also keep in mind I'll probably be spending $80 on fans this way seeing as I need all new ones for PWM ....

So I wonder if I'm taking a hit on possible CPU speed but it sounds a lot more economical... Honestly I don't know which I am more afraid of high temps or dropping some money on a liquid cooled set up.... I might want to some day let this thing render 100% more than 1.4v for 2 weeks at a time... I really think I need to Place the order tonight so thank you guys so much for the quick responses.

So..
  1. If I air cool, whats the best way/direction
  2. What can I expect to see as VCore temps at 1.4v
  3. What is a safe temp for this boards VRM to run at indefinately
  4. I saw a video where a running CPU fan was dipped into liquid and there was no short and it continued to run... Is distilled water really just as safe? I got too much money in this to be carelessly frugal.

This would also kill my dream of being in WC Pr0n...

Last edited:
Back