Need advice - best way to manage updates and such for many workstations in an office?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
Suppose there are 30 workstations in an office, on a domain with a server behind a firewall. All the workstations are running xp pro, the server win2k3. Rather than going around to each workstation and manually doing microsoft updates, is there a way to have all workstations on a domain receive updates together? Can they be pushed by the server or something to that effect? If so, what would happen if some workstations were off when the updates were pushed; would the server know when they came back online and automatically push the missed updates out to them then?

We use a product called "Patchlink" on our network, works very well for managing updates on our 250+ pc's

LINK

You can also use it to manage other softwares updates ex: firefox, quicktime, adobe

can someone explain simply how to do this? i have wsus 3.0 on the server but i dont have it setup correctly quite yet and what do i need to do in group policy?

the top couple ones all just point indirectly to the microsoft documentation... which is pretty dense... i did search around before i posted here asking about it

the link Vito_Corleone is perfect.

I actually just setup a Win2k3 Enterprise Server with AD at home, to play around with. I also got my WSUS all setup, twice, since the pre-installed version is old, and everything had to be updated after I synched the first time :rolleyes:

but those screenshots are spot-on with everything I went through to get it setup.

Back