• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice about 7900GT cooling

CommieX

n00b
Joined
Nov 26, 2005
Messages
12
So I finally am getting my vanilla eVGA 7900GT from their step-up program. The default core clock speed is supposedly 450MHz with an effective 1320MHz RAM speed.

What kind of aftermarket cooling, if any, would I need to boost the core speed to 500+ MHz (preferably ~550)? And should I buy some Arctic Silver whether or not I want to get a new cooler? Thanks in advance.
 
Those results are pretty impressive. But from some other reviews I've seen on it, it is still beaten by the V1 Ultra or the Acceleros X1 . . .
 
What about the AC NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)? I know you have to cut it, but I like the fact that it exhausts air from the case.

And what exactly is the difference between the "vanilla" 7900GT and the CO/Superclock versions?
 
CommieX said:
What about the AC NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)? I know you have to cut it, but I like the fact that it exhausts air from the case.

And what exactly is the difference between the "vanilla" 7900GT and the CO/Superclock versions?


ok wa? you can make one of those fit? how?
 
CommieX said:
What about the AC NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)? I know you have to cut it, but I like the fact that it exhausts air from the case.

And what exactly is the difference between the "vanilla" 7900GT and the CO/Superclock versions?

Apparently people have to dremel the thing. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in the "exhaust" system," because as long as you have minimal air flow in your case, you'll be just fine. If I were you I'd grab one of those kuformula coolers, as they're supposedly the dogs bullocks at the moment.

The difference between the 7900GTs is the cooler and/or clock speeds (core/mem)
 
CommieX said:
What about the AC NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 3)? I know you have to cut it, but I like the fact that it exhausts air from the case.

And what exactly is the difference between the "vanilla" 7900GT and the CO/Superclock versions?

I have evga 7900GT CO model and my clock speeds are 500/1500 and then the superclock is even higher..the KO just has some special cooling on it but with 500/1500 speeds i think


so mainly just speeds with some with different cooling solutions :)
 
I went with a Zalman vf-900. In real life I have never seen more then 45 deg. C (room temp 23). And in burn in test It wasn't even touching 50 deg. C. Very quiet and comes with a fanmate2 hence dail in Your wanted speed.




MD
 
Well, I knew that the CO/Superclock versions had better coolers and speeds, but basically I want to know if it's possible for my vanilla 7900GT to reach CO/Superclock speeds if its equipped with comparable cooling? If this is the case, why on earth would anyone buy the Superclock edition, especially since a lot of people end up replacing the stock cooler on them anyway?
 
Back
Top