• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need advice, 17" LCD for Gaming

Actuary

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
2,468
Hi again everyone sorry to keep posting about monitors, this should be my last post. You may remember that I've been asking for advice on a 19" CRT. However, I've come to realize that Many of the rock solid CRTs(Mistubishi 930sb for example) are no longer available anywhere. Between that and the need to have something that would save some space at college, I decided to start looking at LCDs. I would go with a 19", but I feel that for my budget a 17" would be better. First, a question.

1. My previous computer was a lowly Dell inspiron 5150. How would the LCD on that compare to current LCDs(like if you had to guess a response time and such)? Would the current LCDs out be of much better quality? If so, I'll feel much better about getting an LCD over a CRT.

Ok, that being said, I must keep the price of the 17" LCD under $300. I would prefer to keep the price at about $250. I will use it primarily for gaming and watching movies. Again, although I would prefer a 19", I wouldn't mind the 17" since my laptop was only a 15" screen and I feel I could get a better monitor for my money if I got a 17" LCD. I've heard good things about LG monitors, would an LG be a good choice? Any suggestions for a good 17" LCD for my gaming/movie pruposes?
 
Look for an 8ms panel made by either Samsung or Viewsonic. Some say if you find the Viewsonic with the MVA and overdrive is the best best LCD currently for gaming and image quality balance.

But I and many people are also incredibly happy with a Samsung TN panel.
 
Anyone else have any suggestions, perhaps a specific model? How would the 17 inch Dell LCD rate?
 
i can tell you right now bud, i have the samsung 712n syncmaster with 8ms response time, and i got to tell you , its the best, clearest monitor i've ever had the pleasure of owning, check around for rebates on the web, i use fatwallet.com forums to check for online rebate forms.
 
Hmm, it is a 19", which would be nice, but it's a little outside of my price range. Maybe within the next few weeks the price wil drop to around $275(I hope). Would this monitor be good for gaming? Is having an analog connection instead of DVI not as good, because I saw some 12ms 17" LGs that had DVI and weren't as expensive.

Secondly, how would this monitor compare to what was on a dell Laptop(which I'm also assuming was an LCD)? Can I assume that this monitor is leaps and bounds better?
 
joeshmo1985 said:
Hmm, it is a 19", which would be nice, but it's a little outside of my price range. Maybe within the next few weeks the price wil drop to around $275(I hope). Would this monitor be good for gaming? Is having an analog connection instead of DVI not as good, because I saw some 12ms 17" LGs that had DVI and weren't as expensive.

Secondly, how would this monitor compare to what was on a dell Laptop(which I'm also assuming was an LCD)? Can I assume that this monitor is leaps and bounds better?

As far as exact models, I have a 19" Samsung 930B and it is amazing for gaming. But might be a bit out of your price.

I would not put down the money on an LCD without DVI capability. Alot of people have reported they they get better image quality using DVI, and it makes since. Send the data over pure digital and display it. With analog, your videocard converts the digital signal to analog for transmission and then the LCD has to reconvert it back to digital.
 
Back
Top