Need a way to make the AOL IE browser more secure

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Even though we haven't had AOL dialup for like 2 years, my mom and sisters still associate AOL with the internet, and insist on using the built in version of IE, even though I explained that FireFox is much better and will keep them from getting so much spyware.

So, what can I do to make the built IE browser on AOL more secure? I'm going to reinstall windows on my mom's machine tomorrow, which they have managed to load down with tons of spyware and viruses, and I'd like to keep it clean for as long as possible.

I can't imagine any user-end solution. It's AOL's doing. I suggest having spyware programs installed and using Microsoft's Antispyware and its real-time scanning. And tell your family not to venture to anything suspicious.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, trying harder to get them to accept Firefox.

GJSNeptune said:
I can't imagine any user-end solution. It's AOL's doing. I suggest having spyware programs installed and using Microsoft's Antispyware and its real-time scanning. And tell your family not to venture to anything suspicious.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, trying harder to get them to accept Firefox.
I guess I could just crank up the security settings - that should help.

I'm tryin' - I showed my little sister tabbed browsing last night and she was like "wow."
Personally, I don't use it that much, because I'm a big Alt+Tab person and that doesn't switch between tabs.

For security tab:

Turn, internet, restricted, and local zones on high.
Put trusted zones on medium. (uncheck, require server verification in its settings)
Then, add domains to the trusted zone where you actually need the use of javascript, activeX, downloading etc. (Only do this for sites you trusted sites, obviously)

For privacy tab:
click advanced
check 'override cookie settings"
block both first party and third party cookies
keep "always allow session cookies" unchecked
Then, on the privacy tab, add domains where you actually need the use of cookies to the "sites" list.

Do the same for popup blocking if necessary.

Basically, all the dangerous crap is disabled except for trusted domains.

That's the only way I run IE. Managing the lists should not be a problem. Just add the common, trusted sites and show them (specific instructions) how to add another domain. If it is a problem, that's a good thing, because maybe they'll use Firefox.

You can do the same type of thing with Firefox too.

You can also go to the advanced tab, and turn off 3rd party extensions, install on demand and also set "do not search from the address bar".

Plus, spybot search n destroy can offer realtime detection of browser hijackers.

you could just simply remove it... set up firefox and rename the icon to AOL

sirholio said:
you could just simply remove it... set up firefox and rename the icon to AOL

BRILLIANT :D
tell em its the "lastest" AOL browser :p

of course you can't actually remove it without resorting to thirdparty aps like
XP Lite

barring that try the AOL Explorer Beta Test
I have no idea exactly how secure it is, and you couldnt pay me to try it :p

Back