Need a video card recommendation.

drago010

n00b
My computer is around 5 years old and the video card died. It was an ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb. Is it possible to get a card nowadays for around $50 or less that is equal or better than the one I currently have? Not going to really be used for much gaming, maybe some WoW if I decide to get back into it.

I am trying to save some money to buy a new computer later on so I don't want to spend too much right now. Not sure what other relevant information is needed to help me. I have a 460W PSU and PCI-Express slot for the video card. Well, if anything else is needed to give suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Honestly, a 9600GT can be had easily for under $50 and will mop the floor with the X800XL. As for WoW, it's CPU based, so getting a faster card on a system that old won't help much.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Dark Shroud: I have a PCI Express slot on the mobo.

Red Falcon: My Mobo is a LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D and the CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+.

I just hit up Craigslist.. got a 9800GTX for $50 because one of the display ports on it didn't work, but it was for my crap machine so I didn't care. I see decent PCI-E cards on there all the time. If CL is active in your community might as well give it the once over.

+1 for the HD5550.

That one lists DDR3 memory so its pretty much a HD4670 with DX11 support for $45 AR.

The 9600GSO for $25 AR is another good deal. Its the slower model with 48 Shaders and DDR2 memory, but will still outperform you old x800xl.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130543

You can go cheaper too. A 8600GT, 2400pro, or HD3650 will all perform about equal to your old x800xl. I'd bet you can pick one of these up used for less than $20 shipped. Try to forums.

Here is a good chart to have handy when referring to old video cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118-7.html

Since the card is dead anyway, you could try baking it to see if it comes back to life, just long enough before you build a new machine.

Back