• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a very small htpc

sdotcarter

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2009
Messages
177
Hey guys.

I'll be moving this month and the rooms in our new place are a little smaller then I have now. Therefor to optimize space I would like to wall mount my plasma with a acompanying mounted htpc. So I'm looking for a small media center, needs to play hd videos, and harddrive isnt an issue because my gaming pc can take care of that.

Right now I have a gigabyte ep45-ud3p, with a e5200, 4 gigs of ram, a wd 640gig and a 4830. It's all housed inside my thermaltike dh101. Run's like a champ and still plays a ton of games but it's time for me to sell it or trade if I find the right thing.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
HTPC/Radio/Media
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$300-$400 give or take, also depends whatI can get for the pc above.
3) Where do you live?
Rhode Island
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo, cpu, rame, vid card (if no onboard), harddrive.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
n/a
6) Will you be overclocking?
no
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
47" Panasonic Plasma 1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Whenever
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Possibly HDMI w/ audio
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes

I would also like the ability to control the pc with a remote if possible, maybe even a tuner card depending on what channels I can get in ri.
 
Size, i guess is relative. Thin enough so that I can wall mount it, length and height do not matter.

And yes case and psu
 
A prelim setup:
$59 - AMD Athlon II X2 245 CPU
$125 - Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe AMD 880G mITX Motherboard
$43 - Patriot 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$56 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$100 - Silverstone SG05B mITX Case with FSP SFX 300W PSU
---
Total: $383 plus tax and shipping.

As you can see, it's a very small build and should be enough for HTPC usage.
 
Back
Top