Need a tools stick

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
3,257
I think we need a new sticky to help keep track of all the great tools that have been developed. Just to name a few:

ht-retries.sh
smocng.sh
tpc & tear's version
freqcheck.sh

Just $0.02. Currently all these tools are spread out over many different threads.
 
I think we need a new sticky to help keep track of all the great tools that have been developed. Just to name a few:

ht-retries.sh
smocng.sh
tpc & tear's version
freqcheck.sh

Just $0.02. Currently all these tools are spread out over many different threads.

First two are covered in first two posts in OCNG thread.

Re TPC: good point. I'm currently committing my changes to TPC repo; TPC drop will have
to be spun by Paolo...

Re freqcheck.sh: it's really very ugly hack that I don't think should be marketed whatsoever :)
 
If you think more should be added, contact Tobit , he is the OP of the [H]orde Central Sticky, which is where all of that would belong.
 
I think freqcheck.sh is a good tool. However, it would be better if we don't need input the nominal frequency manually. :)

First two are covered in first two posts in OCNG thread.

Re TPC: good point. I'm currently committing my changes to TPC repo; TPC drop will have
to be spun by Paolo...

Re freqcheck.sh: it's really very ugly hack that I don't think should be marketed whatsoever :)
 
There are a couple of problems with such a list:

1. Installation of most of these is not very straight-forward for new/inexperienced Linux users. Take TPC for example - I have a couple pages to spoon-feed the install here. What are the odds that the majority of even [H] Linux folders would be able to install it without step-by-step instructions? I could probably get close, but i don't think I would get it right with either a guide or pestering tear to death.

2. It takes no time at all for any instructions to get out-of-date, thus it requires constant maintenance for any "how to" thread or post. Newer versions of tools have new links - back to the TPC example, my thread was two versions old this morning when I found it. I think I have convinced tear to always have a *-current.tar.gz link, which will solve the link problem for anything he maintains. It still doesn't help with installation or usage changes - for exaample, the usage of langouste changed significantly enough that my Ubuntu install guide needed quite a bit a tweaking this morning to update how to install it - a huge improvement, but still maintenance.

I don't think that the [H]orde Central thread is the place for such a list. It hasn't been updated in over a year, and the tools in question here a very specific to MP systems or even 4p G34 systems - not something the average folder is going to need.
 
Back
Top