Need a tablet, help choose

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
8 inch with 1 or 2gb ram 16gb hd, microsd slot with 64gb capacity.

screen resolution 1280*800 or better.

$200-$250

Needs to be able to play 1080p mp4 video

Light gaming and web surfing.

or the

Asus tf701t at $300 (is this one any good)

Last edited:
At that price and specs there a number of Windows 8.1 8" tablets available if that's of any interest to you.

The AMOLED version is practically right around the corner...

I decided to get the Samsung tab pro 8.4, unless there is a good reason not too.

Great choice and would've suggested it except it's $100 over your stated budget. Only drawbacks are 16GB flash is kind of limiting and the excessive resolution that taxes the graphics and impacts fps. Benchmarks based on real game engines like Epic Citadel on Note 3 Snapdragon 800 @ 1080p max setting gets 50+ fps whereas on Tab Pro 8.4 S800 @ 1600p is ~33 fps per gsmarena. Anomaly 2 benchmark on Note 3 achieves gold level at max setting while I'm guessing the Tab Pro 8.4 will be silver.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epicgames.EpicCitadel

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elevenbitstudios.anomaly2Benchmark

I could not see the point of buying a crappy $200-250 tablet and then replacing it next year already. It would cost more in the long run. I guess the screen on my HTC One has spoiled me,

. Only drawbacks are 16GB flash is kind of limiting...

It has a MicroSD slot, so it really isn't limited IMO.

excessive resolution that taxes the graphics and impacts fps.

That never struck me as valid reason to avoid getting a nice high resolution screen. I am betting most taxing 3d games won't actually run it at 2560x1600, but at some lower resolution and scale it. Much like consoles do. Or run at lower settings. The world won't end.

Epic Citadel at 2560x1600 on 8.4" screen: you really can't tell the visual difference between, High Performance, High Quality, and Ultra Quality.

Tablets are mostly screen, and the SGTP 8.4" pretty much has the sweetest screen you can get in smaller tablet.

You might want to look into the new Galaxy Tab S and possibly do a return and wait for it.

I love the tablet, I can not see any good reason to return it. Paid $330 for it not complaining.

Last edited:
Back