Need a system for $800, help me please

newster

Gawd
I need as awesome a gaming rig as I can get for $800. I don't really know what good prices are these days, except maybe on video cards. That is probably the most important thing so at least a Geforce 6800. As to everything else, I am really confused as to all the different mobos and processors and stuff. Best system for $800 with overclocking in mind is what I'm asking. Thanks for your help!

P.S. Without a monitor :)

My Asus P4P800 Deluxe is VERY overclocker friendly. And its not so new that it will cost you a fortune. From 2.4 to 2.9ghz w/ no extra cooling.

Regular IDE hard drives are fine for an economy gaming rig, just make sure to get the 8mb cache.

It was recommended to me that I should never buy generic RAM. Crucial has an excellent website for finding the perfect RAM for you motherboard.

you dont know about mobos and what works, when you have a x800pro and can oc?

i bought my custom for $867

Abit NF7
Athlon XP 2800+
XP Home
512MB RAM
GeforceFX 5900XT
LED Temp Display, Cold cathodes, led fans, etc.
Microsoft Keyboard+ Optical Mouse
SB Live!
X-Blade Case with 450W PSU (black)
+ Other unimportant stuff

i think that gives a general idea of what your in for...runs brilliantly though

sdk said:
you dont know about mobos and what works, when you have a x800pro and can oc?

If it weren't for the detailed instructions on here how to do it, believe me I would not have been able to figure that out. Also, with video cards, you have 2 companies to choose from. With motherboards, you have companies, chipsets, 5 different lines of processors out these days. It is pretty hard to know the best deal between a celeron, pentium 4, pentium 4 ee, athlon XP, athlon 64, athlon FX, pentium FX? If you know, please share. If you want to insult my intelligence, send me a PM calling me a moron. Thanks to everyone who has helped thus far.

I would look at a socket 754 Athlon64 processor and the Asus K8N or K8V mobo. Also, I suggest some of the lower-end Corsair RAM rather than Crucial, you'll get better timings for the same money. From there, things are more up to personal preference.

As you will come to know, most of the prices on www.newegg.com are excellent

Goodbye $300-$400 if you're going to get that GeForce 6800. That leaves approximately $400 - $500 for your gaming rig. Besides a monitor, is there anything else you won't need? Because a decent mobo/processor will probably set you back at least ~$200, 512MB RAM ~$70, Hard Drive ~$80, Optical DVD-ROM, ~$20, now you're pushing right up on your limit. Do what the othe people here do, shop around on Newegg and see what kind of quality you can get for your $$$$.

Back