need a simple wireless solution

berky

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a simple wireless solution. what do you guys think. here is the situation:

i'm moving in with a friend because i'm graduating and got a job away from my house... (too far to commute from my own place)
he has cable internet with a the basic 4 port router.
my room is going to be upstairs, kinda far away from the router and it would be hard to route the wire to the room and keep it out of the way
there's no way i could go without an internet connection, so i still need to connect without having to buy a wireless router and all new wireless NIC's.

is there anything that would allow me to have a wireless connection from my room to the router without buying expensive hardware? i think i heard of something that is like two boxes that connect to each end by ethernet, but talk to each other wirelessly. is that a feasible solution? and if so, what are they called?

Thanks for any input.

Hi there

All you would seem to need is an access point (such as this - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201522&pcount=&Product_Id=136486) and plug it into the router. Make sure the IP address of the access point is on the same subnet as the router - Belkins default to 192.168.x.x - or you won't be able to configure it via the http inteface.

Then you need a wireless network card but which one will depend on your pc. USB external are possibly the best to go for as they can be moved between machines easily.

Once that is ready you will need to setup the ssid, channel and encryption for the access point and also it's worth limiting the mac address list too. You don't want people stealling your bandwidth. Then set the wireless network card settings to match your access point and your good to go.

The Belkin has a fairly easy to use interface to do all of this - I'm sure ofther access points are easy to setup too (I just happen to have a belkin one here).

Should be fairly cheap too.

L

The cheapest way is to replace the existing router with a wireless one, they still have a 4 port switch built in for cat5. The wireless access points are more expensive than the routers, don't know why. Fry's has 802.11B routers under $40.00, then you'll need a wireless nic for your PC, they can be had under $40.00 too.

linuxtim - what advantage does the 802.11g give that access point that would warrant me spending 112 for it, plus whatever the cost is for an 802.11g NIC? if the speed is vastly increased over the 802.11b, i might highly consider it.

sidenote: has anyone ever used one of these: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/236295.asp
they're advertized for gaming, but can just as easily be used for a wireless connection. they do go about $100 tho. i just can't find any info on the speed of the connection :(

thanks for all the replies

Then you need a wireless network card but which one will depend on your pc. USB external are possibly the best to go for as they can be moved between machines easily.

I personally recommend an ethernet bridge....like the Linksys WET11 along with a WAP, I think they have a 802.11G version now. But that way you can then connect that too a router in your room in the future if youd like.

Back