Need a simple question answered

Angelus897

Gawd
Hey, I have a question. I don't know if you read my previous thread (when I install 9700Pro my PC won't boot even to post screen), but I was wondering, do you have to connect the video card with the power cord splitter, or can you just use a standard floppy drive connector? Thanks!

Angelus897 said:
Hey, I have a question. I don't know if you read my previous thread (when I install 9700Pro my PC won't boot even to post screen), but I was wondering, do you have to connect the video card with the power cord splitter, or can you just use a standard floppy drive connector? Thanks!
First, do you get a beep code?
Yes, I beileve you have to use the power cord splitter.

It needs power from the bigger MOLEX connector but you must have an ample supply of power on that rail or it will cause problems with other devices..My 9800 PRO uses it's own channel and nothing shares a connector with it..it was the only way I could make it stable.

Yes, my post port on my mobo says there is a problem with power management (thats when it starts beeping).

So the big molex connectors provide more power than the floppy drive connector, correct?

not exactly but use the molex connector I don't think there is anywhere to plug the other connector into the card...if both are on the card it may require BOTH...what does manual say?

Ok, if you use the power cord splitter, then it just splits into a normal molex and a floppy drive connector. But I don't have a floppy drive, so I don't use my original floppy connector. So can I just use that one?

how many devices are on the same circuit? try to isolate the card to provide as much juice as possible, the splitter should work as long as you can maintain enough voltage on the rail, other wise some devices will starve for power and cause problems OR it may cause problems with the powersupply.

Well, I tried on a different PC, and the card still doesn't work, so I'm assuming it's dead.

did you isolate it? mine literally melted the guts of a 300Watt PSU because I tried to hook it in with other devices.... it uses a LOT of juice and when pumping out intense graphics EVEN MORE...so give it it's OWN channel and MOLEX....don't even put a fan on the same circuit.

First of all I've heard the 9700P isn't such a power hog (may be wrong), but even then, I isolated it, and it still wouldn't boot. And, you'd think this card would at least boot to the post screen, but it doesn't boot at all. Thank You for the help anyways. My only last option is to try and disable the volt-mod that was applied to it.

Back