• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need a shallow DVD drive for small case...

MATTRESS

Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2003
Messages
992
I don't know if there's a standard form factor for optical drives or not... but I need one that's not so deep ... like around 6" ... does something like this exist?

it's for the athenatech a100bb case ... I've tried a couple of drives i have here, but they all cover up the CPU's heatsink...

Thanks for the info!
 
is there a specific model to look for? is it a dvdrom or dvdrw or what? do you know about how long they are?
 
They're pretty much all short, about 6.7 inches I think. That's a little longer than you said but I don't really know of any shorter than that.

A laptop drive and bezel might work for you. They are less than 5.5 inches.
 
a laptop drive sounds nice, but that seems like it would be a pain having to get adapters to IDE/power, mounting it in the cage some how, and fitting it to some kind of bezel..

unless there's an easier solution?
 
We spoke about it earlier in This thread.

That was for dual drives, case-mod.com(look in mini PC solutions) has them for single drives as well. The ebay seller mentioned in that thread might too. You would probably still have to buy the conversion board.

The ebay seller mentioned does(for cheaper), here
 
thanks for the suggestion, but I think that's a little pricey :( those drives are quite expensive! (though I was looking at the slot loaders too ;) )
 
You should be fine with a lite-on dvdrw drive as long as you make sure the PSU is not 2 deep either.
 
Yeah, they can be quite expensive, unfortunately.

"You should be fine with a lite-on dvdrw drive as long as you make sure the PSU is not 2 deep either."

I think his problem is that the drive is in the middle of the case so it goes over the CPU if it is too long.
 
Send a pm to my good friend D4RK1C3 - he spent a lot of time finding the most shallow drive he could. He might have some good advice for ya.
 
r00k said:
Send a pm to my good friend D4RK1C3 - he spent a lot of time finding the most shallow drive he could. He might have some good advice for ya.

just my luck, it seems like the forums are having trouble with private messages right now ;( I'll have to try again later. thanks for the info :)
 
emptyshell said:
You should be fine with a lite-on dvdrw drive as long as you make sure the PSU is not 2 deep either.

emptyshell is correct. We pretty much have the same setup.
 
OK, I've made a list of all the drives that have been suggested to me:

BRAND...MODEL...W.......H.......D

LG.........4167B......146.....41......170
LITEON..160P6S....145.....41......170
BenQ......DW1640..146.....42......178

it looks like the LG and Lite-On drives tie @ 170mm / 6.7 inches. still pretty deep for what I'm looking for..

I guess if I can't find a drive that's less than 170mm deep, I'll have to go with a slim drive which is really expensive :(
 
Back
Top