• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a replacement for my 6800 oc

menlatin

Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
612
So i'm hit with the dreaded nf3 and 6800 bug. Plays fine in doom 3, but locks in FEAR. So looks like i need an AGP ati solution. I was looking at an x800 xl but it doesn't seem to give much better results than my 6800 oc (16/6) and it also looks to be priced more than what i payed for this 6800, granted i got a good deal, but still i hate to lose performance in Doom 3 and pay more but be able to play FEAR. What would be some suggestions that would give me an up in performance and still stay under $200. I play at 1024x768 with 4x AA right now in Doom, and hope to do the same or maybe a little better in Fear and Quake 4. Looking for a 256mb Agp card.
 
Well, ATi simply cannot match bang-for-buck in Doom3 performance that nVidia provides. It just can't...unless

You get the x800GTO2. Yes, it's PCI-E, yes, you're on nF3.

OTOH, I have yet to hear anything on nF4 & PCI-E having stuttering problems. Of course, this still makes your AGP 6800 useless. Lol.

In a nutshell, this is the reason I'm contemplating the ASRock 939 board. No nF3+6800 bug, but I keep my 20pin PSU & AGP. For you situation, you'd need a new CPU/Mobo too, but the ASRock is only $67.

Either this, or you can wait for drivers to fix this (in a blue moon).
 
since your 6800 oc was unlocked, it will be difficult NOT spending more to get similar results. Since your card was within 5% of a 6800 GT is most cases. either get another 6800 oc or pay a little more than 200 to get a 6800 GT
 
Mav451 said:
Well, ATi simply cannot match bang-for-buck in Doom3 performance that nVidia provides. It just can't...unless

You get the x800GTO2. Yes, it's PCI-E, yes, you're on nF3.

OTOH, I have yet to hear anything on nF4 & PCI-E having stuttering problems. Of course, this still makes your AGP 6800 useless. Lol.

In a nutshell, this is the reason I'm contemplating the ASRock 939 board. No nF3+6800 bug, but I keep my 20pin PSU & AGP. For you situation, you'd need a new CPU/Mobo too, but the ASRock is only $67.

Either this, or you can wait for drivers to fix this (in a blue moon).


The ASRock board is good, but you have to do a volt mod if you want to OC. It's a very simple matter of connecting two traces, just like the old pencil trick(except I've seen everyone using conductive pens or solder, I used a pen). Highest voltage the board offers is 1.4 and the volt mod gets as high as 1.55
 
Back
Top