Need a reliable DSL Modem

Kaitian

Supreme [H]ardness
So I stupidly went with Qwest's option of buying their DSL modem only to find out that the piece of crap sucks and there's no option for upgrading the firmware on it.

I was reading engadget today and saw that Netgear had the Wireless-N router out called the WNR2000 supposedly with a built-in modem.

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/celebrity/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/1022/20080929/0834275323.htm

So my question is if I get this 70 dollar router, can I be able to plug my DSL jack into this and not have an issue? Unless I need to find an accessory that allows a plug in from RJ-14 to RJ-45.

I would appreciate any info on this.

I try to stick with Efficient Speedstream DSL bridges (now under Motorola).

There's really no reason to fiddle with the firmware on DSL modems.

Which model would you be getting from Qwest?

You may find you're disappointed in the performance of a combo DSL/router, if you want some stronger router features.

DSL ISPs work fine with most any DSL modems...always good to check ahead with them though.

All I see from Motorola's site are the cable modem options which are currently available, not DSL's. It's just that the stuff that was given to me from Qwest is both a router and modem.

http://www.2wire.com/?p=106
2701HG is what I'm using but it's just that the whole network connectivity between PC is just horrible and takes forever to transfer ANY data through the gateway. The firmware on the modem I use is so horrible that any management system regarding anything is so dumb down and they don't even have firmware updates for this modem/router. Even the wireless on this is so bad as well. I can't send it back to Qwest because I already bought it from them last year. I'm tired of this piece of crap hence why I was looking at the Netgear router supposedly with a built-in DSL modem which I like.

However there's the WRT54GL which is great to have but my question is how do I exactly hook it up to a RJ-14 line if PPPOE is offered? Do I have to buy some adapter that works or can I just plug in the RJ-14 into the RJ-45 slot and work just fine? DSL is my only option because of the fact my apartment complex is wired differently which killed the cable modem option.

Back