• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a recommended power supply

[h]ardc[h]ris

Weaksauce
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
71
I got my second 4850 yesterday, and it turns out, my 400w power supply isn't beefy enough to run the entire system :)

The specs are:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 E8400 (stock speed)
4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 800
1 x Seagate 1TB 7200 SATA
1 x Hitachi 750GB 7200 SATA
2 x Asus ATI 4850

Would 650w be enough? Do I need to go to 750+?

I've been eying the following PS

Antec NeoPower Blue 650w
Corsair TX 650w
Corsair TX 750w

Any recommendations of one over the other?

Thanks!
 
The TX 750 is a good unit that can be found for some pretty awesome deal. Sometimes as low as 80 bucks. Right now I see it for 100 bucks at newegg after MIR. less than 100 bucks for such a beefy unit is great. Though I'd say whatever you can find for the best price because they will all do the job. Things to consider at that point is cabling options, length, and warranty. Corsair is good for warranty, but so is antec...so there ya go.
 
The 650TX should handle it easily.
The 650TX is a Seasonic build, whereas the 750TX is CWT.
 
Go with a quality 750w if you're going through the trouble of replacing your PSU, so you don't have to replace it next year when you want a different video card or something else.
 
The Silencer is a great choice, and is dirt-cheap after the rebate. I recommend it or the 650TX, whichever you can afford.
 
Ended up getting a corsair TX 750 for $90 w/ MIR (microcenter), works much better, my system no longer shuts down randomly :).

Thanks
 
Back
Top