• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a recommendation or suggestion.

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Messages
9,541
Ok, right now I am starting to see that I need to upgrade my power supplies for my computers. The sad thing is, BOTH need to be replaced. So the cost will be higher then I want to do but it's needed.

Here are the specs for my systems.

Gaming Rig:
AMD64 3200 @ 2.4ghz
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1GB of OCZ EL Plat Ram
Leadtek Nvidia 6800GT
Seagate 120GB SATA
BenQ 1620 DVDRW
SB Audigy 2 Plat
Thermaltake Silent Purepower Xaser II 480W PSU
(I've found that I cannot have all of my case fans as well as the DVD-ROM drive plugged in without stability problems)

Server:
Pentium 4 3.4ghz HT Socket 775
Soltek SL-865Pro 775
2GB of Samsung TCCC Ram 4x512MB
Ati Radeon 9800 pro AIW (Will be upgraded to an X800Pro when I upgrade the PSU since I have found that I can't even format the C: drive with the X800Pro in.)
5HDs (WD-200GB ATA, WD 200GB ATA, WD 100GB ATA, WD 120GB ATA, WD 250GB SATA)
NEC DVDRW drive
SB Audigy 2 Plat
Thermaltake Silent Purepower Xaser II 480W PSU

Like I said, I need 2 PSU's. And I am looking for most cost effective PSU's.

I obviously know that PC:pSU's are the best, but cannot justify $200 for a PSU at the present time.

OCZ Powerstreams, Antec Neopowers, and Forton Source Blue Storms I've heard are really nice for the price. Any other suggestions?
 
ShepsCrook said:
OCZ Powerstreams, Antec Neopowers, and Forton Source Blue Storms I've heard are really nice for the price. Any other suggestions?
You've got the right idea. The OCZ Powerstreams even include the 8-pin (EPS12V?) connection mainly seen on server boards. The TruePower II series is cheaper than the Neopower, but lacks the modular cabling. A lot of the Enermax v2.0 models are pretty good choices too.
 
Hmm... So basically any one of those that I listed are pretty good choices. I'm thinking I might go with the Powerstream 520W since it's only $130 which is only $14 more then the Neopower.

Ugh. More then I wanted to spend though.
 
I'd personally get the Powerstream 420W. The 520W gets most of it's output added to the legacy +5V line, something the new A64s and P4s don't use these days. The Powerstream 420W can put out 30A on the +12V and the 520W model can put out 33A. Not that much of a difference for a lot more money.
 
Hmmm at $84 that's a lot closer to what I was thinking of paying. The 12v rail is a lot better then the Thermaltakes I'm using. mine are 18A for the 12V rail, and most of the time they are below 12V for it. I'd say 11.82 - 11.98 for it.

So you think it would be a huge improvement over what I have despite the 60w drop? I know watts don't mean better, but I'm just curious I suppose.
 
_Korruption_ said:
I'd personally get the Powerstream 420W. The 520W gets most of it's output added to the legacy +5V line, something the new A64s and P4s don't use these days. The Powerstream 420W can put out 30A on the +12V and the 520W model can put out 33A. Not that much of a difference for a lot more money.


YEAH!!!! there we go, forget 2x520 powerstream get 2x420 powerstreams which would give you almost identical performance.

http://www.directron.com/ocz420adj.html 84 bucks each
 
Yeah, that's what I think I might get. I'll try one at first. And if it works great, then I'll probably get another. :)
 
ShepsCrook said:
The 12v rail is a lot better then the Thermaltakes I'm using....

Yeah. I've got an FSP 350W and an Ultra 400W that have more juice on the 12V than those PurePower 480W's. Got to wonder what Thermaltake was thinking when they came up with the specs for that power supply. :rolleyes:
 
I was shocked it would be able to hand the 2nd computer. The computer's stability has been great. It's just recently when something went wrong with windows. (Occassional lag and then a quick blue screen of death, followed by a restart), I decided I'd upgrade the power supply.

Now the computer had been running for about 4 months with 0 problems. It's just now that I've upgraded the video card in that machine to either the 6800GT or the X800Pro, I figure I should upgrade to something with a little more juice. For the most part, I can't complain about the silent purepowers though.
 
Back
Top