Need a recommendation for 1440p.

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
My roommate wants a 27" 1440p or 30" 1600p monitor. All she does on her computer is play facebook games, youtube, and may netflicks. I'm looking for a cheap card to run the monitor. Most likely it will be running off of DL-DVI, but it may be DP. Here's her specs:
MB: MSI G31TM-P21
PSU: Corsair CX500
RAM: 4GB DDR2
CPU: E2200 (2.20 GHz)

It's a small case. Hence the Micro-ATX motherboard.

Would this GPU work? It's been a while sense I've used something so low budgeted. (I think it was an x300 running 1080p for SoftTH and it chugged on Windows XP and 7 on the desktop)
XFX ATI 5450 1GB - DL-DVI, VGA, HDMI

If there is something around the same price with DP, what would it be?

From what I'm seeing right this second, adding DisplayPort definitely means a price jump. Without finding something used or on eBay, the cheapest you're apparently going to get is this VisionTek HD 5450 512MB card with mini-DP for around $65 (Newegg's about the same price, FWIW). That said, if a monitor can run 2560x1600 off DP, unless you specifically need DP for audio, it'll certainly run 2560x1600 off DVI...

EDIT: derp moment--that VisionTek does you no good since it's standard profile, not low-profile. You might have to go for something like this, or just stick to DVI.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ahh, okay. Then the VisionTek card I mentioned is probably right up your alley, unless you can find something cheaper used...

Back