Need a reciever?

Ulfus

n00b
I have speakers with + and - sockets behind them. This means they need a reciever, yes? I need a reciever that I can connect tot these speakers and then connect to my computer.

It needs to be cheap. Where can I find this reciever thing and why do I even need it? I need speaking, not reception.

Why do computer speakers not need a reciever, but these do? I dont understand. Do they have a built in reciever?

Why are there shit tons of devices called recievers, not just audio recievers? What do you specifically call recievers that you use for connecting speakers to the computer?

What is the point and purpose of a reciever?

I think its actually the amplifier that I need. Why do I need an amplifier to connect these speakers to my computer, do computer speakers have a built in amplifier?

Will this do:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-MUS..._HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4875032e02

It has only 2 + and 2 - holes, but I have 4 speakers, how do I connect them all here?

And also where does that aplifier connect to my computer? I dont see tha 3.5mm connector on it.

I want to use these speakers on my computer so I wouldnt need to buy a new set of speakers.

You need an amplifier because the signal from the computer soundcard is very low level and you will hardly hear anything from your speakers if they are connected directly to the computer.
There is even the possibility of causing harm to the soundcard.

Computer speakers have an amplifier built in, or include the amplifier in the setup as a separate module, similar to the role a receiver plays.

A receiver is a radio + amplifier, hence why it is called a receiver.
But they have morphed over the decades to become multi channel amplifiers for surround sound with many ways of connecting things in and out.
A Receiver now is basically a surround sound amplifier + sound processor with knobs on.

There are stand alone stereo or multichannel amplifiers as well, varying hugely in quality, price and features.
I use an external soundcard which is a Blu Ray player with PC compatible inputs.
This is connected to separate stand alone power amps that dont even have volume controls, everything is controlled by the Blu Ray player or PC.

Different amplifiers/receivers have different ways of connecting them, you can often have a choice.
Same with computer sound cards, they also can have different ways of connecting them.

Its essential for us to know exactly what sound card (or motherboard sound output) you will be using so we can determine the best way of connecting to an amp and help decide what amp/receiver would be appropriate.
It would also be handy to know what your intended audio uses are and if you want the amp/receiver to be used by more than just your PC.
What do you want from your sound system?

What do you mean by cheap?

H81M-P33

10 dollars, maximum 20. Where do I buy the wires and what wires do I need?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
at your budget if you have the space.. thrift store stereo receiver or amp is your best bet

if you don't have space for a full sized stereo receiver then that little lepai is you best bet.

Or may be better to just buy new speakers. Currently have a4tech. May be I will instead buy speakers for 40 dollars and sell these on craigslist?

They look like this - how much?
ejhdgj.jpg

Lepai only costs 21 dollars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Lepai-...b257b7a2d81a&pid=100009&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=4&

What is the name of the wire that I need for "speaker wire"?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
He has 4 speakers.
A stereo amp is only for 2.

Op, what are the 4 speakers you have?

I think they are...speakers? I dont know what they are, might as well be extraterrestrial aliens for all I know :D 2 is fine too, I might sell the other 2.

But uh, isnt there a special wire for speakers? If I touch it, will I get electrical shock when the speakers are working?? So would it be good to coat them with isolating tape?

You won't get shocked the linked wire from unrlmth, it has a clear "shield" over it so long as you're touching that you'll be fine. Though if you label both ends you won't have to worry about it since it'll be hooked up right and no bare should be showing.

Back