Need a quiet console for Guitar Hero - PS2??

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
I'm a FPS PC gamer only, but love playing Guitar Hero on my friends PS2. I was thinking about getting a Wii for just that, and maybe the sports games, but I've heard the controllers for the guitars don't work great, and the GH games for Wii are limited.

So then I thought I'd get the Xbox 360 for GH, but I can't STAND loud fan noise. I've heard the Elite is quieter, but I've only heard the regular 360 and it's pretty loud.

I was thinking maybe just picking up a PS2 for $129. Looks like the guitars are compatible with xbox (not PS3!). Any chance they'll stop making GH games for the PS2 anytime soon?

Thoughts? Seriously - I can't stand loud fan noise in this small room.

With the release of Guitar Hero: World Tour for the PS2, I don't think they're going to stop anytime soon. The PS2 is still a really strong system and Guitar Hero made its debut on there so it's not really something too mind-blowing for the system.

well with the new xbox 360 update you can rip games to the harddrive so you dont have to listen to the drive anymore with the games you play :D So if you plan on putting it online at least once to get the new update then you will only have to listen to it rip the game to your harddrive then you will not have to listen to it again unless you are going to rip another game lol

Much as I love my 360, gotta go with Peanut Butter here. If your goal is to play Guitar Hero, buying one of the next-gen systems is really a waste of cash. The only exception to this rule would be if you want to download new songs, but it still seems like you'd be far better off with a PS2. Besides, if you've gone without a console for a while, I'm sure that you could find another PS2 game (or 20) that could interest you, and many good ones are dirt cheap.

well with the new xbox 360 update you can rip games to the harddrive so you dont have to listen to the drive anymore with the games you play :D So if you plan on putting it online at least once to get the new update then you will only have to listen to it rip the game to your harddrive then you will not have to listen to it again unless you are going to rip another game lol
Unfortunately, that's not quite true. While you do lose the loud noise of the DVD-ROM drive spinning, you've still go the noise of the fans. I have an Elite and it's not loud at all, but I vividly remember the noises put out by my pre-HDMI 360, and they could be obnoxious even when I was playing XBL Arcade games with no DVD use at all.

The portability with the slim PS2 is a lifesaver as well. I've probably brought my system to 4-5 parties or so and it hosted a Guitar Hero tournament at my university.

PS2 wins. Doesnt the new slim not use a power brick either? In any case.. you can probably pick up a ps2 for mad deals on say craigslist.

It does have a brick. I think that's how it got smaller. Don't remember if the fat PS2 had a brick or not, guessing it didn't.

Yeah, PS2 sounds like a smart choice here given you can get them for next to nothing.

I do want to take it to friends, and tailgating too. So the PS2 would be nice. And it would be nice to not have to worry about breaking a $400 console or getting it ripped off while tailgating. The bummer is the guitar's aren't forward compatible with the PS3. I wonder if the games would play on the PS3? The guitar's should work on the xbox though. Hmmm.

It would be nice to download new songs on the xbox. As long as you can rip GH to the hard drive, I wonder how bad it would be? Even then... I just can't imagine playing anything on the xbox besides GH. The old lady barely "lets me" play Battlefield locked up in my office.

Funny - I checked Craigslist and some people are asking crazy $ for their PS2's. Found one for $75 nearby. But they're only $129 at Best Buy brand new.

Since I only want GH I think the PS2 is the way to go for a couple of years. If they ever quiet down the xbox maybe I'll go that route some day.

I'm a FPS PC gamer only, but love playing Guitar Hero on my friends PS2. I was thinking about getting a Wii for just that, and maybe the sports games, but I've heard the controllers for the guitars don't work great, and the GH games for Wii are limited.

So then I thought I'd get the Xbox 360 for GH, but I can't STAND loud fan noise. I've heard the Elite is quieter, but I've only heard the regular 360 and it's pretty loud.

I was thinking maybe just picking up a PS2 for $129. Looks like the guitars are compatible with xbox (not PS3!). Any chance they'll stop making GH games for the PS2 anytime soon?

Thoughts? Seriously - I can't stand loud fan noise in this small room.
You seem to be avoiding the PS3 like the plague.

The 360 Elite may be 'quiter', than the original 360, but the PS3 is virtually silent. And there is no 'brick' for the power connector. Anyways, I thought there was a firmware patch that made the ps2->usb converter work for guitars for the PS3. Last week Harmonix had a deal, GH3, GH WT (game only) and 2 official guitars, for ps3, for $100. I haven't heard anything about people using PS2 guitars on 360 either.

*edit* OK here is the adapter. This allows you to play PS2 version of GH 1, 2 and 80's on your PS3. GH3 does not work with it, so you would need to buy GH3 for ps3/ps3 guitar. http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-PL-6338-PS2-PS3-Adapter/dp/B000KIPE12

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Babbster so is your Elite pretty quiet? Even just the fans (no dvd running)? Frustrating they don't have an Elite running in Best Buy so I can't hear it.

Well for $400 just for GH it didn't seem worth it. I've heard a PS3 before and it wasn't exactly silent. Kind of a high pitched whiney noise.

Actually though... being able to surf the net with the PS3 in the family room could be cool. I wonder if you can also download new GH songs? Hmmm.

You can still download songs/content for GH on the PS3. I don't know where this PS3 was sitting, but it should be really really quiet if put in a decent position/environment.

EricDawg: Did you get my PM?

PB just saw it. Thanks I'll think about it. I'm looking to get it for the Thanksgiving weekend (Rock on!), but if that doesn't happen ya never know.

Funny I guess I ruled out the PS3 because I just don't need the blu-ray, and xbox has Live w/Halo etc. which sounded cool. But really... just a rocker.

Thanks guys for your help. Think I'll run to Best Buy and browse a little.

The fan noise bothers you, yet you can put up with the constant clacking of those cheap plastic guitars?

Fan noise > guitar hero key noise. Yes.

Fan noise pisses me off because I know it doesn't have to be that way if they used a quiter fan and/or dvd player. Among other things. I'm actually leaning towards the PS3 to I can browse the web from the family room tv.

IMO i would look to see if there are any other games you can not live with out on the PS3 or 360... gears of war 2 (360), little big planet (ps3 might be a fun game for you and the wife), etc and if there is one or two then get that console. if not then go with the PS2 because it will be cheap and easy to move around. Plus you could also go with the choice of the Wii I know people say the controls are bad but are they really that bad? Also there would be lots of games you and the wife could play on the Wii or if you have kids.

Why buy a last, old gen console? Buy a 360, install the game to your hard drive and listen to the silence. The upside is the 360 is only a few bucks more than a PS2, and has much better longevity.

I don't see why people are saying that no drive noise = no fan noise.

The brick of the 360 itself weighs more than the slim PS2 and maybe with it's brick, too. Small and discreet if you plan on taking it to places.

+1 for get an x360 arcade and refurb hd for $30 and install GH. Newer xb360's are a lot quieter.

If you play to get more games I'd get the 60GB.

I never understood this fan noise crap.

I play both the PS3 and the 360 from about 6' back and neither of them make any audible noise you can hear. Just for shits and giggles I turned them both on and sat down in front of the tv about a foot away and turned on dead space and metal gear solid 4 and with the games running there was virtually no noise coming from either system, at least not enough to distract me from playing the game.

Maybe I'm just lucky with both my systems and I know I'm not that old yet where my hearing is that far gone.

Also, how come PC fans don't bother you but console fans do? *shurgs*
no beef just a q.

I never understood this fan noise crap.

I play both the PS3 and the 360 from about 6' back and neither of them make any audible noise you can hear. Just for shits and giggles I turned them both on and sat down in front of the tv about a foot away and turned on dead space and metal gear solid 4 and with the games running there was virtually no noise coming from either system, at least not enough to distract me from playing the game.

Maybe I'm just lucky with both my systems and I know I'm not that old yet where my hearing is that far gone.

I have a first gen 360 and it's fairly loud. I'm debating on getting an elite since I want more storage anyway but I wish there was a way I could hear the difference before plunking down the cash. My PS3 is virtually silent but I have a few more games on my 360 as of late. :(

I have a first gen 360 and it's fairly loud. I'm debating on getting an elite since I want more storage anyway but I wish there was a way I could hear the difference before plunking down the cash. My PS3 is virtually silent but I have a few more games on my 360 as of late. :(
Buy from a store with a good return policy. If the new one isn't what you want, that's as good a reason as any to return it for a full refund, and you'd be doing so in a very reasonable period of time.

It's VERY quiet. The xbox at Best Buy was LOUD.

FWIW PC fans do bother me, that's why I have an
aftermarket fan on the vid card, cpu, and controllers.

The wife won't allow a console in the family room if it's loud. What I forgot about the PS3 is it's browser. I keep it on all the time, and use it to browse on the 40" tv. And of course... play Guitar Hero.

I can't stand any other console games though. FPS with a PS3 controller is awful. But GH, the browser, blu ray, and some cheesy racing games are perfect for my family room.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Back