Need a PSU to suit my needs. Suggestions?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
Specs in Sig, dont forget the overclock and add in 4 80mm fans on a coolermaster aerogate fanbus, a cold cathode and my 9800xt fan...

I know to go with antec, fortran, superflower, enermax or sparkle... But how much power do i need? I'm running a generic 350w raidmax supply right now... ANd i dont think its enough..

Random rebooting ocurring. I narrowed it down as the power supply being the culprit... has happened twice now when burning a cd while the drive was spinning up....

350 of any of those brands should suffice fine. Unless you plan to add more harddrives or something then you may wish to get a 400.

Chix4mat said:
350 of any of those brands should suffice fine. Unless you plan to add more harddrives or something then you may wish to get a 400.

Going by this guide, with everything running at its max at the same time, my system would draw 633W!! Holy crap... :D

(That is, if i figured that right)

Wow, more than I would have thought. I know HDD's/CD Roms use a lot of power, but unlikely you will use them all at the same time, hehe.

That's an *awesome* link.. have to bookmark that. Splurge for a 400 or more if you have the money too, sure couldn't hurt.

Chix4mat said:
Wow, more than I would have thought. I know HDD's/CD Roms use a lot of power, but unlikely you will use them all at the same time, hehe.

That's an *awesome* link.. have to bookmark that. Splurge for a 400 or more if you have the money too, sure couldn't hurt.

I'm lookin at something 480 or more... Seems that even factoring in the lowest setting of everything runnin at the same time, its at 480w... Hehe... Theres also the Voltage Rails to look at and how much i need to run the system per rail... I"ll have to look into that.

Aye, 480 would be great. I actually didn't know they were higher than 450, so I am a newb. GL

Chix4mat said:
Aye, 480 would be great. I actually didn't know they were higher than 450, so I am a newb. GL

Using this link, it seems i need the following:

3.3v line Max: 2.4A
5V line MAX: 15.5A
12V line Max: 20.2A
3.3 + 5V combined Max: 85.6
3.3 + 5 + 12V Combined Max 328.2

Now... Take that into consideration time 1.8 for room to spare and you have 328 x 1.8 = 590W

This, uh, cant be right... Can it? Maybe i just need a good 400W psu that covers my lines adequately... RIght?

Aye, as far as I know. My friend had a lot more stuff in his computer, like HDD's and CD-roms, only on a 350. Course it blew after a few months :)

400 should work fine.. but 480 like you said should be even better. Do they even get higher than 480? Would imagine they would be hella expensive.

[Edit]

And that's an even cooler link, heh. Gotta use that one.

Chix4mat said:
Aye, as far as I know. My friend had a lot more stuff in his computer, like HDD's and CD-roms, only on a 350. Course it blew after a few months :)

400 should work fine.. but 480 like you said should be even better. Do they even get higher than 480? Would imagine they would be hella expensive.

[Edit]

And that's an even cooler link, heh. Gotta use that one.

HIghest i've seen so far is 550W... But from what i've read, wattage is not king...

I went with the Antec True 550W because of the great reviews ive read about it, the thermal control for the psu fans and the independant voltage rails... ANd its nice to hve some extra headroom for the future...

Don't forget Seasonic. Quiet, increased efficiency (less heat), Active PFC (less electric bill). Best CPU's rated on silentpcreview.com.

Back