Need a PSU for SR-2 System

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
2FA
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
11,815
I'm tired of having two PSU's running on my desktop. So it is time to order a new one, want to get it ordered tonight so it is here by the weekend. Looking for only suggestions at Amazon with prime, or Newegg with shoprunner.

Needs:
-Gold/Plat unit.
-Fully Modular

What it needs to power:
-SR2, with up to ~195 bus speed
-2x L5639, up to ~1.25/1.3v per CPU
-Up to all Dims filled, 1.5v memory
-2x Sapphire 6970, with mid/high overclock
-Pump (will be a D5 varient in the future)
-10 or 12 fans
-2 or 3 WD Black 1TB, 2x Force GT3 120GB, Dvd and BD drives


Ive pretty much narrowed it down to:
-XFX ProSeries 1250w
-Seasonic X-1250
-Seasonic 1000W Plat unit (is this enough?)
-Corsair AX1200

I didnt see too many out there that fit the bill, possibly missed em though.


Also, am not looking to spend much more than ~250 shipped

,Thanks
 
Not sure what the SR-2 and those Xeons pull OC'd, but I'd probably just get the Seasonic 1250 or Corsair and call it a day, both are excellent units obviously.
 
Not sure what the SR-2 and those Xeons pull OC'd, but I'd probably just get the Seasonic 1250 or Corsair and call it a day, both are excellent units obviously.

Most of the Xeons are 130watt TDP chips and the SR-2's power usage shouldn't exceed 100 watts. Unless you are loading down the system with GPUs or big drive arrays, you don't need a 1200watt PSU for an SR-2 system. I'm not even sure the OP needs that much even with the 6970's. I'd say a 1kw unit is probably sufficient, but going bigger almost never hurts.
 
L5639 are 70w chips, stock atleast, similar to the L5640

Ended up pulling the trigger on the x-1250, love the X-750 i have (but was maxing it out on this I believe), Figured I may add another 6970 down the line, so it wouldnt hurt to have a little extra head room.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top