Need a PDU UPS

beachbum

Limp Gawd
We are moving our facility to a new (& better) place, this includes a server cabinet with about 5 servers inside and some switching equipment, pretty small compared to what's out there. This is for a financial institution.
The reason for this move is because the new building has a diesel generator; it does not have any sort of UPS system like we currently have (takes up an entire room, powers all comptuers).

When we move this server cabinet it's going to have to be on a UPS, otherwise if there is a small outage for a couple seconds, everything is going to restart, and restarting is bad. And in event of full fledged power failure, it takes about 30 seconds for the generator to kick on.

The server cabinet has a large thick 220 plug that goes to the PDU, looks like this:
PDU.gif

Is there such thing as a UPS that this thing could plug into? It only needs to power the cabinet for a couple seconds until the generator goes on, or any spikes in the grid...

Yes, of course.
APC has a bunch of them but you'll need to find out which exact plug you need. Just from the look of that plug, I'd say you'll need either an L6-20R or an L6-30R. (The R is for Receptacle, while plugs will have a P at the end for Plug.) Find out which receptacle you'll need and look at APC's rack mounted (or next-to-rack) UPS units.

Edit: Something like this one, http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA3000RMT2U -- hopefully you're providing redundant power through the use of two PDU's... in which case you'd need to get two of these 2U guys.

If you're only using one PDU though you should look at something with a bit more capacity - like the 5000 series. Use caution if you're not providing redundant power pathing; if you lose a battery pack, you'll probably see a sudden power-off event. There's no way around that except actually providing a redundant power path - i.e. a second UPS, second PDU with one side of each server's redundant power supplies plugged into separate PDU's.

If rack-mount is not an option, look at one (or two in the redundant power scenarior) of these to sit next to the rack: http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SU5000T

Ok, if your moving into a data center like you described, I doubt you will be needing any sort of UPS. If it's any thing like the data centers I have seen the UPS they have in place will keep you up and running with out a problem and you shouldn't see any power loss at all. The UPS will more then likely just take up space. The UPS should be able to handle the load while the generators are starting up.

I happen to know this from experience, with the ice storm that hit recently the power did go out to the data center the company I work for is located, but nothing lost power.

Well the new place does not have any UPS, so when there is a spike and or loss of power, things will go down. In event power is lost, it takes a couple seconds for the generator to kick in, we need something to handle the load until then. A lot of times we have small outages that only last a couple seconds, without a UPS all of the equitment would restart, and we don't want that, it would effect many branches....this is the head end.

That APC would be perfect, however, we will need a cable that goes from the recepticle to the APC, then the cabinet can plug into the UPS.
The plug looks like this:
t12p.gif

I can't seem to find one with male plugs on each end.
Additionally, I see on the RM 2U 208V specs that the Nominal Output Voltage is 208V, on the current plug it says 250V, problem?

You're dead on about having a UPS to cover the delay before the generator fires up. Some take up to ten seconds before they kick in.

That APC would be perfect, however, we will need a cable that goes from the recepticle to the APC, then the cabinet can plug into the UPS.
Why? The APC units will come with an L6 type plug of their own. :) You'd plug that into the wall and your PDU's into the UPS.

Additionally, I see on the RM 2U 208V specs that the Nominal Output Voltage is 208V, on the current plug it says 250V, problem?
You'd need to double-check with your manufacturer but most 208V+ servers are capable of using voltage in a range from 200V-250V.

Well the new place does not have any UPS, so when there is a spike and or loss of power, things will go down. In event power is lost, it takes a couple seconds for the generator to kick in, we need something to handle the load until then.
Wait, so their isn't really a UPS, even though you mentioned this in your first post (note the bolded section).
it does not have any sort of UPS system like we currently have (takes up an entire room, powers all comptuers).
From what you explained in the first post it looks like they do have a UPS in place just not the kind you are accustomed too. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Okay, good to know the APC already comes with the right cord.

To clarify, our current location does have a giant UPS that can power all computers, however, we are moving to a NEW location that does NOT have this, thus the need for the APC RM2U (to tide things over until the generator kicks in)

That 250V on the plug means that the plug is rated to handle up to 250V. That doesn't mean that it will be putting out 250V.

Also, if you need an extension cord for that setup, remember to get the proper gauge for the length you are using. Those cords carry a lot of current, and the last thing you want to do is use too small of a gauge wire in a long cord (they get hot and ruin your day, to say the least). Always look for the UL certification on the stuff you are buying. If you are unsure of what you need for a plug, consult with a qualified electrician or talk to the people at the place you are purchasing your UPS. These UPSes aren't found at Best Buy, so you'll hopefully be able to talk to someone who knows the products :D

Power guys correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the L5-20 125volt/20amp and the L6-30 208volt/30amp ?

That 250V on the plug means that the plug is rated to handle up to 250V. That doesn't mean that it will be putting out 250V.
Power guys correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the L5-20 125volt/20amp and the L6-30 208volt/30amp ?
True and True.

Be sure your UPS is Generator Compatable with your new sites's generator. The generator may put out unstable frequencies that the UPS has trouble tracking and/or the generator may put out low voltages that cause the equipment attached to the UPS to draw a high current and blow the fuse or trip the circuit breaker in the UPS. Some geerators/inverters output square-wave which the UPS may not recognize the power source as normal power and will switch to battery mode.

Since you are looking at data center grade, you will likley want on-line double converstion which by typically are always genset comp.

Correct! :D

One further note that usually get people thrown for a loop is the L5-20R and the L5-20P.

The P stands for plug and the R stands for receptical.

Back