Need a P4 Socket 478 HSF

jas0nt

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 4, 2003
Messages
81
Hi,

I've been looking at the Zalman CNPS-7700 or the CNPS-7000 (both copper) HSFs for a Socket 478 mobo. Are these good in terms of effectiveness, quietness, and value? If not, can you make any other suggestions that's within the pricerange of $40 - 55?

Thanks

PS. Should I go with the HSF being Au and Cu (aluminium and copper) or the Cu? Obviously, Cu transfers heat faster, though is that worth spending extra? Is there a noticable difference?
 
Perhaps this chart may help you pick the best option:

http://63.74.115.230/articles373/p4sum.asp

PS, I've never been a big fan of any Zalman product as there are much better choices. I suggest buying a Thermalright Sp-94, XP-90 and couple it with a modest fan on a fan controller.



They also have the Xp-90 on sale
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556031208.html

This is about the best heatsink available, and Zalmans aren't even in the same league ;)
 
So with the XP-90, I would want that 92mm fan? This will mount directly to the top of the heatsink right? I just got the soyo motherboard for free after rebates, and have no idea on this heatsink and fan support that the board has built onto it. Its been years since I have looked for heatsinks and they always had the fan built on top of it.
 
sappyse107 said:
So with the XP-90, I would want that 92mm fan? This will mount directly to the top of the heatsink right? I just got the soyo motherboard for free after rebates, and have no idea on this heatsink and fan support that the board has built onto it. Its been years since I have looked for heatsinks and they always had the fan built on top of it.

I edited out that 92mm x 35mm fan as the XP-90 must use a 92mm fan no larger than 25mm thick :( But the XP-90 has no issues fitting your Soyo that I'm aware of. The only downside to your Free Soyo is that Soyo is notoriuos for not fullfilling rebates

Heres a GREAT 92mm x 25mm Fan and this Ebay seller is dependable, He has a retail store as well and they are much more there ;)

http://www.thermalright.com/

Also check out the new XP-120 (If you go the XP-120 route, Get this fan (this Ebay Seller sells them at Overclockers.com's Classified, and everyone is raving about their quality, Plus your getting a $29 fan for $4.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26216&item=3854590253&rd=1
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think the 90 will do well enough, considering I won't be overclocking this machine (ok, not like I used to back in the day with my watercooling:p). I didnt see the link though for the 92mm fan that does work.
 
sappyse107 said:
I think the 90 will do well enough, considering I won't be overclocking this machine (ok, not like I used to back in the day with my watercooling:p). I didnt see the link though for the 92mm fan that does work.

I originally posted a link to this fan http://www.coolerguys.com/840556000174.html

Problem is the XP-90 must use a 92mm x 25mm fan and this fan is 35mm (Its a good fan at a killer price... :(

Heres a real good one (also included is his Ebay sales where you can gete the Sanyo Denkis Cheaper)
http://www.thermalfx.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=109P0912H401

This isnt the same fan as above, but he sells them, send him a Ebay Email if you want the one above. Dont tell him I sent you or He'll charge you more :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3673&item=6724848890&rd=1
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top