Need a P&S

northrop

grumman
- Budget... pretty open, say up to $1k, but preferably within $600/700.
- Zoom with moderate range
- Not an interchange lens system
- Modern with good IQ

This isn't for me, and considering I'm not really in the loop with any P&S cameras, I'm at a loss. I've kind of narrowed down the choice to Panasonic LX100 at $800 and Canon G16 at $400.

Now that I'm browsing BH site, I came across this Fuji x30 that might be worth looking at.

Person getting the camera has very basic understanding about photography (but willing to learn, and has done first few steps playing with my camera already), and just wants to get the best bang for the buck, at small(ish) package. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I compered stats of that Sony RX100 to the Panasonic LX100 I linked above, and... I see very little advantage in Sony's favor. LX100 has no flash. And Sony's MP count... and that's a maybe. Sure, more freedom to crop a shop later on is welcome, but outside of that, it looks like Panasonic has an edge

What do they consider to be small(ish). The LX100 needs a coat pocket, and if you want a flash you'll need to fill the second coat pocket. The viewfinder also protrudes from the back adding to its size compared to something like the RX100. I would try and find a store that carries the camera, so that I could hold it.

The 4k Photo mode in the LX100 is very appealing. The mode raises the video shutter speed high enough for sharp 8mp stills. I'd certainly use that mode when around my nephew. Standard 4k video also.

The reviews mention the LX100 shoots quicker (less lag than the RX100). That is always welcome.

I can't argue with the image quality I was seeing in the reviews.

The Fuji x30 I wouldn't consider personally, since it uses the x-Trans sensor. The RAWs are not supported well by Adobe in Lightroom. There are other raw programs that do a better job than Lightroom. The JPGs look great out of the camera though.

Last edited:
Anything smaller than, say FZ1000 will be ok. Basically, no extended lens. (which is unfortunate, because that was my first suggestion).

Wasn't aware of the Fuji's RAW file support, but this shouldn't matter. I'm totally expecting this camera to sit in the closet 350 days out of the year and be used with jpgs only, but to each their own. Not my money :D

Seems like there is very little choice in the $400-$800 segment in terms of P&S. And the ones worth looking at are all fixed focal length cameras.

So with no "extended lens" then cameras like Canon's SX60 HS and Nikon's P900 out of the question? If this person isn't crazy into photography the flexibility of the zooms on these two cameras would be fun.

The FZ1000 is a great looking camera with nice features.

Another one not mentioned yet is the Canon G7 X, which is the competitor to the Sony RX100M3. The zoom is a bit longer at the same bright F2.8. Some of the other features fall short, no viewfinder for instance.

As you said there isn't much for prosumer P&S. Many of the cameras in that range less than $800 are focusing on huge zoom ranges or water proofness. They aren't targeting the people who need a second camera to there DSLRs.

I'd lean to the smaller RX100, or to a camera that can obviously do things their smartphone can't like the Canon SX60 HS. The LX100 would provide the instant shooting action, but it is larger. I'm stuck on it being bigger and them leaving it in the closet and using their cellphone instead.

Back