need a new wireless router FAST

smith94672

Limp Gawd
Hi. I'm in need for another wireless router.

I'm in search of a wireless router that does not disconnect. ( or rarely if ever ) I don't care so much for its speed. My systems are using Win XP Home and Win XP Media Center. I intend to upgrade to Vista next year.

I would appreciate it people here can come up with good suggestions. ( my current wireless model is from Linksys. I purchased it ~ 4 yrs from Verizon DSL, where they were offering it for free after rebates if you signed up for their service. My computers get disconnected from this router at least once a day. I tried out Linksys' tech support and did all sorts of reconfigurations but I've come to the realization that it's probably a crappy model I have. )

You probably have an older wrt54g model...they were OK back the. Could squeek a little more performance out of certain versions of them with 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT, HyperWRT, or Tomato

Their wrt300n is doing well, I've setup quite a few of those...fast, stable, great distance

DLinks 4x00 series is good..getting a bit older....their new 655 series is very good.

Is there anyway I can modify my current Linksys router so that it doesn't disconnect from my computers?

I don't care so much for its speed, just its stabilty in maintaining connection.

Any firmware or configuration tips?

DLink DGL-4300.

Age is no down-side to this router. It performs extremely well.

Is there anyway I can modify my current Linksys router so that it doesn't disconnect from my computers?

I don't care so much for its speed, just its stabilty in maintaining connection.

Any firmware or configuration tips?

It depends on if the one you have is a wrt54g, and if it is..what version it is. The DD-WRT can help give you an improvement over the stock Linksys firmware. It's not as good as current generation "MIMO/N" routers....but it's better than stock.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

There is a DD-WRT forum here...
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/

Tomato is also cool, I've run that, DD, and Hyper various times on some of my older routers. I actually still use an old wrt54g v1 with DD at one house as an access point.

Dlink dir-655, the best and most affordable router out imho.

Seems like it from the specs and personal reviews alone.

But it seems to be too gratuitous for my needs. Any cheaper alternatives?

Again, I don't care about speed or other nifty features. I just require a router that keeps connections stable.

Another vote for the DIR-655 at $99 shipped from Frys.com. Another good option is the DGL-4300 from Frys.com for about $70 shipped.

Also, Check out some netgear's I have installed many of them and they are very easy to setup and install. I love their RangeMax Wireless Router

Buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT. I have the WHR-HP-G54 and it has been running continuously without a reboot for over 8 months.

I purchased a Buffalo G125 model. This model was released ~ 2 months ago and was ~ $44.

So far, I've spent close to a month with this router and there wasn't a SINGLE disconnect or reset required. And there was none of that difficulty in accessing and saving router settings.

Back