Need a new wireless router.. advice?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
So I've had a Dlink DIR-655 for about 2 years now. For the last couple months devices in the house will have problems connecting to and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Now, starting this morning, two of my devices refuse to connect to it at all (a Dell D630 laptop and a HP Touchpad). They see the network, but refuse to pull a DHCP address from my Untangle box (which other devices in the house can still pull DHCP addresses from fine, both wired and wireless devices).

Any recommendations on a good replacement wireless N router? At any given time I can have 3 laptops, 2 tablets, 2 smartphones, and a Wii connected at at time. I wouldn't think that would be too much of a burden, but I seem to go through wireless routers every 1-2 years at most before they start exhibiting connection issues or freezing. All I really need is something to provide a connection for my wireless adapters since Untangle handles all my actual routing and firewall needs...

WNDR3700 is pretty nice especially if you want to run it as an AP (works fine using OpenWRT).
WNDR3800 should be more than fine if you want to replace your untangle box.
//Danne

I like my Untangle setup, so no need for a "fancy" router to replace it. I don't know, $100 (Newegg price for the WNDR3700) seems a little pricy just to get wireless working in the house. Not saying I can't spend it, but if I can get a reliable wireless connection for less, I don't need a lot of features.

I may pick up a Cisco/Linksys E1200 from BestBuy locally since I've got two devices down at the moment. If that doesn't cover my needs I can always return it...

I'm trying to find a good replacement also. May try to pick up that Linksys 3000

Atheros is a known stable platform, you might need a 3rd party firmware such as OpenWRT to use them (WNDR3700 or WNDR3800) as APs.
//Danne

I am in no way an apple fanboy however i recommend the airport extreme to everyone that is looking for a stable wireless AP. It's feature set is limited, but it is the only stable consumer access point i have been able to find in years (especially anything N!). Between myself and friends we have easily gone through 7-8 different router/access points (running tomato/dd-wrt as well), all of which always begin exhibiting some form of stability issue eventually. I personally run an alix board with pfsense for my routing needs and use the airport extreme strictly as an access point. All of the airport extreme's myself and friends have bought have been running flawlessly for years and i'm currently on the rev 5 model (anandtech review here is definitely worth a read): http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/...-and-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-

It certainly seems like a lot of money to spend on an access point but when i total all of the trash i've bought over the years it's easily the cheapest option if you want stability and speed.

Back