need a new switch

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new switch and can't make up my mind.

My requirements so far are that it has to be ~24 ports and Layer 3, lifetime warranty is a nice plus.

I don't care about the vendor in all honestly, I worked on Cisco, HP, Dell, Adtran, and other equipment before so difficulty of managing it is the least of my concern.

Just to give you an idea my current switch is a D-link DGS-3200-10. It's a nice layer 2 switch but does not have enough ports anymore.

So far I am leaning towards the HP 3800 switch series, I had a chance to work on one recently and it was a nice switch.

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new switch and can't make up my mind.

My requirements so far are that it has to be ~24 ports and Layer 3, lifetime warranty is a nice plus.

I don't care about the vendor in all honestly, I worked on Cisco, HP, Dell, Adtran, and other equipment before so difficulty of managing it is the least of my concern.

Just to give you an idea my current switch is a D-link DGS-3200-10. It's a nice layer 2 switch but does not have enough ports anymore.

So far I am leaning towards the HP 3800 switch series, I had a chance to work on one recently and it was a nice switch.

Is this for home or business or what?

What Layer 3 features do you need? OSPF, just static routing, etc.

Budget?

Is this for home or business or what?

What Layer 3 features do you need? OSPF, just static routing, etc.

Budget?

Home business.

Intervlan routing is the most important followed by flow export. Any other features are a nice bonus for down the line such as floating static routes, policy based routing, and NAC/NAP.

Budget is pretty open.

could always just get a more basic switch that does vlans and then build a box to run vyatta on

could always just get a more basic switch that does vlans and then build a box to run vyatta on

I already got a box that does that (well VM now, was a physical box till just last week), Sophos UTM by the way. But want to avoid having traffic between vlans going through it.

Home business.

Intervlan routing is the most important followed by flow export. Any other features are a nice bonus for down the line such as floating static routes, policy based routing, and NAC/NAP.

Budget is pretty open.

Keep in mind that this is not what I would call a production network. This is more of a lab. I am not hosting email servers or anything like that. Downtime is acceptable and I don't need a 4 hour replacement unit if this one fails. I just need a new solid switch because my current one is to small and I would just rather get a new one to play with then daisy chain some cheap non-managed ones from the current switch.

I know things fail so that's why I want lifetime warranty.

I am open to new/ebay, especially since HP goes by serial of the device if its on lifetime warranty.

The other reason why I am leaning towards HP is the free software upgrades. I know Cisco offers lifetime warranty on some Catalyst models but I will not have access to the IOS software since paying for SMARTnet is pretty expensive over the lifetime of the switch.

Can anyone give some input on Juniper in this area? Dells while can be had for cheaper then the HP 3800 are not what I would consider in the same league (speaking of PowerConnect's, never had a chance to work on a Force10).

Back