Need a new sub $100 5.1 system

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
I'm currently looking for a new 5.1 speaker system and I'm under a tight budget.
Currently, 2 have my greatest attention:

Altec Lansing 251 (US$78)
Logitech Z640 (US$94)

Those are the approximate prices here in Malaysia.
I kinda prefer the Z640s now, but alot of reviews say that it's lacking in the mids and trebles while the 251 is better.

I listen to a lot of music, all kinds, but I play lots of games and watch the occasional movie as well.
What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

I think youwould be much better off buying a good 2.1 system then you would be if you bought one of the mediocre 5.1 systems you mentioned. :)

You should be more careful how you ask some questions. :D

Originally posted by X86Dude
I think youwould be much better off buying a good 2.1 system then you would be if you bought one of the mediocre 5.1 systems you mentioned. :)

You should be more careful how you ask some questions. :D

$100 2.1 system >> $100 5.1 system.

Hrm, so what 2.1 systems are good then?
I liked 5.1 cause I watch DVDs and play lots of games. Although I realize not all games even have 5.1 support.

I won't get nice surround sound in games like Call of Duty or NFS:U with 2.1, so I'm pretty much set on a 5.1 system.
OK instead of what you think... :D
Which is the better choice between the AL 251 and the Logitech Z640?
Is there any other 5.1 system under US$100 that I should consider?

The cheeses should read posts better. evilnickwong is in MALAYSIA, he can't simply buy from newegg or any normal online store for that matter (unless you want horrendous shipping prices), and I bet it local store is quite different from the ones here in the US.

That said, I don't think either speaker is "bad" per se, just that you just won't get as quality as high as you could with a 2.1 system at this budget.

Personally, I prefer altec lansing speakers over logitech, but either one should fit your needs.

Yeah unfortunately, most online shops don't ship to this region of the world. And even if it did, something like speakers would probably have insane shipping costs.

Hrm, I definitely want a 5.1 and not a 2.1, so I'm probably gonna go listen to both the 251 and the Z640 at the local store and see which I prefer. :D

Back