Need a new Sound Card

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
2FA
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
10,477
So I am getting a new sound card becuase the one I had was taking up PCI slot that I needed for another SATA controller.

So I need a PCI-express sound card but I dont really know much about audio...I have 2.1 speakers and I dont game. I watch TV and movies on my computer and thats about it.

What do I get?
 
does your mobo not have onboard sound?

well, there are two sub $100 recommendations:

creative $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102017

asus $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

if you're on a strict budget, get the creative card, otherwise, the asus card is your best bet for great sound quality for watching your tv and movies on.

My mobo does have onboard sound however Dell has not updated the Driver for 64bit Vista and my line in/microphone does not work.
 
My mobo does have onboard sound however Dell has not updated the Driver for 64bit Vista and my line in/microphone does not work.

gotcha, well let me know if you like those options. if your budget can go beyond $100, i can make other recommendations.
 
I ended up getting one the newer xfi pic-express cards today it was like $100 so Im good with that. If I had better speakers than $20 walmarts I would consider one of those Asus Hdav Setups but i guess that will have to wait.
 
My mobo does have onboard sound however Dell has not updated the Driver for 64bit Vista and my line in/microphone does not work.

What sound chip is it and what Dell model is it? Dell is slow at putting drivers (especially the non-essential ones) on their webpage, but it might be on the manufacturers website.
 
What sound chip is it and what Dell model is it? Dell is slow at putting drivers (especially the non-essential ones) on their webpage, but it might be on the manufacturers website.

I dont remember...i tried the manufacturers driver a while back but it still did not work and I just dont care to mess with it...this is a much easier solution.
 
Wait.

Creative? Isn't that the bane of all that is good and holy?

I'm going to get a Xonar DX. Sometime. When I get around to it. Considering other ~$100 PCIe x1 choices, isn't the Xonar DX the best for sound quality?
 
Wait.

Creative? Isn't that the bane of all that is good and holy?

I'm going to get a Xonar DX. Sometime. When I get around to it. Considering other ~$100 PCIe x1 choices, isn't the Xonar DX the best for sound quality?

Only time I had problems with my X-Fi was when I installed the Doom 1.3 patch and forgot to updat my drivers....people love to hate creative, but no gaming card compares...and I have had fra more bugs with my GPU-drivers...but that is somehow okay? :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top