Need a new router, bad issues with the current one

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now I have a Netgear WNR854T and a Belkin F5D7230-4 and both are crap. I have 1 wired pc and 2 wireless laptops. The belkin works fine for my wired pc but the laptop cant connect or stay connected for shit. The Netgear is only a month old and thats giving me connection issues with both wired and wireless. At first the wired was great, speeds were awesome on it but the wireless was having the same issues as the belkin. The w/l connection was hard to make and once made it was hard to keep. Drops would happen every 5-10 mins avg. I was in contact with netgear about the issue and did every suggestion they gave but then I started having wired drops non stop. My wired would drop for a 1-5 secs at a time, leaving me with sometimes having to restart the router to fix it. I know 5 people to have this router in my work and one other person is having very similar issues. Nothing Iv done has made anything better. The only thing I can think of that making non of this work is some sort of interference but dont know how to figure that out if its it.

So Im looking to send this back and get a newer one but have no clue what to get. I need a new one but have no clue what to get. Any help would be great.

My recommendations:

DLink DGL-4300 if not concerned with "N" Wireless.
DLink DIR-655 if you do want "N" Wireless.

These are two of the highest-performance routers on the market.

The 655 is up top...while it's a fine router.....I don't think yours are at fault yet.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/
You can see the Netgear that the OP has in 3rd place....it's a fast unit.
The old 4300 would be a downgrade for the OP...it's fallen to 6th place in performance based on the routers tested.

I recommend the OP look at his setup and begin some basic troubleshooting steps, as he's had similar issues with 2x different routers..both of which are fairly decent (I've had nothing but good experiences with all the Belkins I've setup).

*Latest firmware
*Making sure he's not double NAT'd behind a router that he thinks is only a bridged modem
*Wireless..unique SSID, not the same with neighbors
*Wireless..try a different channel..do a site survey to see what other wireless channels are used in the area
*New splitter if he's on cable

Are you running P2P apps?

It's not just the speed, and Wan-to-Lan of 90+MB/Sec will satisfy anyone 's needs.

It's also about the features, reliability, etc...

The DGL-4300 has proven to be an extremely reliable router. Everyone I know of that has one loves it.

Netgear is dead to me. Every single (and I mean EVERY) piece of Netgear equipment I've ever had (two routers, two switches, one card) has died within 2 years.

Even the blue-box stuff stuff isn't reliable. ALL of mine has been blue-box stuff.

Anyone got their hands on a DIR-855 yet?

Oh, and I agree with your last part. More troubleshooting needs to be done...

*Latest firmware
*Making sure he's not double NAT'd behind a router that he thinks is only a bridged modem
*Wireless..unique SSID, not the same with neighbors
*Wireless..try a different channel..do a site survey to see what other wireless channels are used in the area
*New splitter if he's on cable

Are you running P2P apps?

I have done the lastest firmware updates. My SSID is fine and Im trying around other channels now but not sure what double NAT'd means or how to do a site survey to see if the channels are conflicting.

As for the P2P, I do run them sometimes like utorrent. I also run my trading programs but I dont think they fall under P2P. Id like to try to figure this out instead of returing it and having the same issues all over again if its not the router. Thanks for the help guys.

Another issue that started up a few weeks ago was that I changed the SSID to another name but the first name I was using is still showing up in the wireless finder. Iv reset the router a few times sense then but its still showing up and you can not connect to it. Not sure why thats doing it.

Also another issue is I notice drops when I try to start a big d/l or even refresh the server list in CSS. The drops happen for a sec or two then come right back on when these types of drops happen.

As for the SSID not showing up, you need to check and see if you have SSID blocking turned on. I suspect you do.

As for the SSID not showing up, you need to check and see if you have SSID blocking turned on. I suspect you do.

No my SSID is showing up but its also showing up under the old name I was using to even though I reset the router a few times.

I got a few days left to pick a router but Im still not sure what to get....?

I picked up the DLink DIR-655 today so hopefully no more issues

Back