Need a new receiver

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
I like mid-range/high end stuff but am looking for a deal.

I had an Onkyo that bit the dust and it was only 2 years old. No me gusta.

Any recommendations for a decent 5.1+ surround sound receiver?

how big is your room?
how many sources do you have?
what speakers are you using?
what is your budget?

4 HDMI sources.

Already have speakers and sub.

I liked the Onkyo I had but since it went kaput I don't trust them anymore.

Budget is 400 max.

Room is average. Sit about 12 feet from television.

4 HDMI sources.

Already have speakers and sub.

I liked the Onkyo I had but since it went kaput I don't trust them anymore.

Budget is 400 max.

Room is average. Sit about 12 feet from television.

what speakers are they?

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V57...ie=UTF8&qid=1360979314&sr=1-4&keywords=yamaha

Yamaha RX-V573 7.1-Channel Network AV Receiver

Can be found cheaper but this is a very good reciever that fits your budget.

I haven't read a ton of good stuff about YPAO.

I'd suggest a Denon.. if you call a dealer and ask for their "best price" you can usually save a few hundred off MSRP. I got a 2112CI about a year ago for $450 shipped when it retailed for a few hundred more. The 2113CI should be near model year end right now and hopefully discounted that far... a few months after I got my 2112CI, my dad got a refurb for under $300...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Never heard of Marantz before.

Marantz is a big name. They're known for good audio quality for the money but lacking UI.
The slimline series are great performers if you can tolerate the lackluster OSD

Marantz is high end stuff. Very good, excellent amplifier sections.

Anyway, I recommend a Denon with Audyssey MultEQ XT. None of the other algorithms really do anything for bass response, which is the place you need it most. What kind of speakers do you have?

Marantz is high end stuff. Very good, excellent amplifier sections.

Anyway, I recommend a Denon with Audyssey MultEQ XT. None of the other algorithms really do anything for bass response, which is the place you need it most. What kind of speakers do you have?

ARC and trinnov both adjust bass response.

I got about a week ago a Yamaha RX-V573 for $299 on sale at fry's

I am very impressed with the sound quality from this receiver for the money i paid... the network stuff is a bit clunky and not the most robust features out there..but whatever the SQ is quite good and I like it very much for under three hundred bucks I couldn't be more pleased.

i used the YPAO mic to calibrated the receiver and found the results to be pretty good.

i kinda wish it had more than the 4 hdmi inputs but I only needed 3 atm so meh...

Oh yeah I have also been enjoying the android app for the receiver also...

I would recommend the Marantz that was suggested in this thread only if you need the slim form factor. Otherwise, you are better off with a Denon or Yamaha that will provide more features at the same price.

I would recommend the Marantz that was suggested in this thread only if you need the slim form factor. Otherwise, you are better off with a Denon or Yamaha that will provide more features at the same price.

At the price point the OP will be selecting between feature-rich processor stages or quality amplifier stages.

What model was the Onkyo, TR-606? Mine went ka-put but I was able to replace the caps and get it working again. (also not getting onkyo again)

The Sony STR-DA1030 is hard to beat at that price. Good power and wifi, bluetooth and airplay built in.

It was worth a shot. OP was looking for something in the $400 range and if he didn't take it, I was going to :p

Just posting to say fuck onkyo, mine came with static on the center channel and I had to mail it in for repair and was without sound for a fucking month. Great way to enjoy my brand new 5.1 speaker system

Yeah, fuck those guys. All the decent audio companies never ever ship a single defective product, ever.

Just posting to say fuck onkyo, mine came with static on the center channel and I had to mail it in for repair and was without sound for a fucking month. Great way to enjoy my brand new 5.1 speaker system

You'll be mad again when your HDMI board fails.

It appears that most newer receivers are running "hot" HDMI boards. Probably our fault as consumers wanting more shit in the same volume. Just make sure you give them room (lots..like 5" all around) and forced air if you can do it. Seems to be a common theme these days.

It appears that most newer receivers are running "hot" HDMI boards. Probably our fault as consumers wanting more shit in the same volume. Just make sure you give them room (lots..like 5" all around) and forced air if you can do it. Seems to be a common theme these days.

I have found this almost entirely due to CEC.
Disabling CEC has cooled down every AVR I've come across. Not always to the point of being "cool" but certainly to the point of no longer idling "hot".

Back