Need a new PSU

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
My PSU just nuked my HDD, so I need a new PSU. I'm wanting to buy a 390x when it comes out and maybe go crossfire. So I'm not sure what wattage to go for. My rig is in sig.

The other thing is that I want to go X99 eventually.

I would imagine that it is safe to assume that the 390X will be no power sipper. Xfire, and you're likely already placing yourself in 12v rail amp requirements that a unit approaching 1000w can only provide. Toss in X99, and that possibility turns even more into a reality.

So: I'd personally go with a quality 1000w or 1200w unit (if the price is right) if i were in your shoes.

I agree, if your stick on one card (and you know it), 850 + should be fine. If you have the slightest, remote idea to move to crossfire then your going to want 1k and up. (Likely even a 1.2K) - Corsairs AXi series is nice for the upper end.

Last edited:
1000-1200 is way too much.

If you have real plans for crossfire, the wattage you want depends on your overclock ambitions. If you're keeping everything stock, you're looking at approximately 650 watts max, so a 750 would be safe. If you are planning to do overclocking on air, or overclocking with no voltage increases, go to 850. If you're overclocking to the max with watercooling and voltage increasing, go to a 1000 watt PSU.

1000-1200 is way too much.

If you have real plans for crossfire, the wattage you want depends on your overclock ambitions. If you're keeping everything stock, you're looking at approximately 650 watts max, so a 750 would be safe. If you are planning to do overclocking on air, or overclocking with no voltage increases, go to 850. If you're overclocking to the max with watercooling and voltage increasing, go to a 1000 watt PSU.

If the 390X consumes the kind of power that the internet says it does, you might be right. Frankly, 4096 GCN cores consuming ~200w is unbelievable for me until i see real readings.

I'm betting on it consuming every bit of a 290/290X type requirement, thus the 1000-1200w recommendation.

I'm honestly going to be overclocking, probably on air, no more than using an AIO.

I found a Cooler Master V1000 for $130, is that a good price? I do like the pre... sleeved? Well singular plastic sleeved cables that look quite nice.

If the 390X consumes the kind of power that the internet says it does, you might be right. Frankly, 4096 GCN cores consuming ~200w is unbelievable for me until i see real readings.

I'm betting on it consuming every bit of a 290/290X type requirement, thus the 1000-1200w recommendation.

70 watts (2500k) + 250 watts (390x) + 250 watts (390x) + 50 watts (system) = 630 watts. 750 is fine at stock.

Although now I just see X99 planned, so yeah, that will add about 100 watts to all estimates.

I'm honestly going to be overclocking, probably on air, no more than using an AIO.

I found a Cooler Master V1000 for $130, is that a good price? I do like the pre... sleeved? Well singular plastic sleeved cables that look quite nice.

$130 is a decently good price for it. I have a V1000 as well. I chose it because it is a very compact power supply compared to other 750-1000 watt PSUs, and I need that space because my bottom radiator is practically right up against it. It's a highly regarded Seasonic platform, you can't go wrong with it.

Just a word from experience......

I have a system that has Crossfired 290X overclocked, a 4770K overclocked and it actually ruined a Seasonic X-1050.
The system started crashing under gaming load and the system would actually trip off.

I'm not certain if it was a bad PSU or the load just pushed it too far,( I tested all the other components and they were all fine) but if you are going to have two of anything from AMD in your system, I'd be very safe about what I used to power it.

I RMA'd the Seasonic, sold the return unit and bought a Corsair 1200 AX.:D

Last edited:
Just a word from experience......

I have a system that has Crossfired 290X overclocked, a 4770K overclocked and it actually ruined a Seasonic X-1050.
The system started crashing under gaming load.

I'm not certain if it was a bad PSU or the load just pushed it too far, but if you are going to have two of anything from AMD in your system, I'd be very safe about what I used to power it.

I RMA'd the Seasonic, sold the return unit and bought a Corsair 1200 AX.:D

This +

I was also running a MSI Lightning 290x crossfire setup. I now have in my possession the Corsair AX1200i and the AX1500i :) (With just a single lightning, and my 4790k, I was pulling 700 Watts alone from the wall)

So, just some words of wisdom.

Back