Need a new phone a.s.a.p. N-One or HD2 ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I am on T-Mobile, and my BlackBerry 9700Bold is a piece of garbage, with dropped calls 90% of the time, spotty internet connection, and voice mails come up all at once hours late sometimes. I have read that it is most likely the 9700Bold, it has a bad radio hardware, and is known to be FAIL.

So of the 2 phones I am looking at on T-Mo, would be the Nexus-One or maybe the brand new HTC HD2 ? I know the hottest new phone will be the Sprint EVO 4G "Supersonic", but it is a good 4 months away still, I can't wait that long.

Opinions please.

My Smartphone history, I had the iPhone3G few yrs ago, liked it, didn't LOVE it, but thought it was a pretty cool phone, but the AT+T raping on the monthly bill was insane = $180 per month, so I sold it. My Wife got the MyTouch3G last year, and to be honest I hate that phone, it felt like a wannabe iPhone just poorly done so, very laggy, the touch screen felt unresponsive 50% of the time, the MyTouch3G feels like a smart phone not ready for prime time. If I go N-One, I hope to God it is way way better than the MyTouch, it left a very bad taste in my mouth for Android, and I want to like Android, I hate Apple.

Last edited:
Can you get your 9700 replaced? I have a 9700 and it works great. If anything, the Blackberry browser is trash, but it always has been. I am a very experienced BB owner (7520, 7100, 8703, 8830, 8330, 8900, 8350 current work bb, and 9700 current personal bb) and I can honestly say that my 9700 is the best BB I have ever owned. It is with TMo as well and I constantly grab the newest OS and noticed drastic improvements across the board (browser speed, boot time, overall snappiness, faster media loading, better 3g radio response etc). I know that carrier coverage is only good if it works in your area(s) but it really sounds like you got a defective device (90% calls dropped? geez).

I feel you on the sluggishness of most of the HTC phones, I also didn't like that. I thought the MyTouch3g was okay, but I personally wouldn't use it. The N1 is much more responsive because it has the hardware to back it up, however I haven't had much time with it (only messed around with coworkers).

If your 9700 didn't drop calls and vm's came on time, would you want to keep it?

If you are in a 3G area remember the N-1 is very expensive on Tmo with 3G.

It is $179 with 2-year Tmo, and $529 no contract for ATT, Rogers, TMo and others soon. It would actually be cheaper on Tmo as their data service is less than ATT.

It is $179 with 2-year Tmo, and $529 no contract for ATT, Rogers, TMo and others soon. It would actually be cheaper on Tmo as their data service is less than ATT.

Got confused on the pricing sorry. I would give the HD2 a look though, try it out and see if not trade it back in for the N-1.

HD2 is stuck on Windows Mobile 6.5 and will not be able to get WM7.

There is no reason to go with the HD2 at it's current price point.

HD2 is stuck on Windows Mobile 6.5 and will not be able to get WM7.

There is no reason to go with the HD2 at it's current price point.

But if the price point for his HD2 is free like mine was then I would say it is worth it. :D I love my HD2 with the SPB skin overlay. That makes the phone great IMO.

P.S. Yes it req'd two year contract but I talked them down to a prorated $200 early termination fee.

35% cash back at tmobile.com through bing.
I'm almost certain XDA Dev will release WM7 for the HD2 so I wouldn't worry about that.
Watch out on ETFs as there is sometimes an 'equipment recovery' fee on top of that.

I stopped by T-Mobile this evening to play with the HD2. I must say it was a pleasant experience. The SnapDragon proceesor handles WinMo quite well. Very snappy.

I was hoping they would have an N1, but no such luck. I don't get why T-Mo subsidizes the phone (N1), yet they are not allowed to display one at the store. If I can't try it, I don't buy it.

My HD2 will arrive tomorrow.

I thought about the N1 but too many things turned me off to it.

Go play with their demos of it and look at videos for features and functionality. Everyone is different and you might like something another guy hates.

I would vote for the HD2 with the bigger screen and other features but I know a lot of people who like the N1 better looks and feature wise.

For sure getting the N-One, I created the same thread here, and got some very good replies you should read if your on the fence;
http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/...sion/3993-need-new-phone-s-p-n-one-hd2-2.html

Basically, I have been reading that the HD2 gets pretty laggy after a week or so of use, and that it feels sluggish and slow compared to the Nexus-One, especially if the Nexus has been rooted with the C mod.

lol you have at least two different threads for the same question? Just consolidate no need to make two of them.

I returned my HD2, I didn't like it. Coming from a G1 and a jailbroken iPhone, using WinMo is a shitty experience.

I have been reading that the HD2 gets pretty laggy after a week or so of use, and that it feels sluggish and slow compared to the Nexus-One, especially if the Nexus has been rooted with the C mod.

Most phones can have this issue. WM especially because of the multi tasking allowed. While I wish closing some applications was easier I put a short cut to task manager on my main page and I go in and clear out anything I dont "need" running all of the time. Works well and keeps the phone lag free for MUCH longer.

Some apps like the camera or calender should close vs stay open but whatever. Been on WM so long is second nature to close things for me :p

But it is not for everyone.

35% cash back at tmobile.com through bing.
I'm almost certain XDA Dev will release WM7 for the HD2 so I wouldn't worry about that.
Watch out on ETFs as there is sometimes an 'equipment recovery' fee on top of that.

The hardware isn't there for WM7 as far as I'm told and looking at the specs.

Goodluck with that. Not really sure why someone would back themselves into a corner with WM6.5 knowing that they will not be able to upgrade to WM7, especially when better OS's are avaliable (WebOS/Android).

The hardware isn't there for WM7 as far as I'm told and looking at the specs.

Goodluck with that. Not really sure why someone would back themselves into a corner with WM6.5 knowing that they will not be able to upgrade to WM7, especially when better OS's are avaliable (WebOS/Android).

The internal components and the screen can handle WM7, its the fact that its got 5 buttons vs the specific 3 and its older that are making them not want to put out an update for it vs the fill original install.

I am not sure what you mean by backing into a corner with WM6.5. The OS works very well, much better than 6.1 Perfect no, but it is an improvement. The OS will vanish but that does not mean its useless.

I've played with all of them and keep sticking with WM for various reasons that fit my needs. Same reason why people go with the others, doesnt mean one is "better" than the other. I do hope some of the new applications and games for WM7 will still function in WM6.5 depending on what the game needs with live and such. But I usually use my phones so hard they last a year or a year ½ anyway.

The internal components and the screen can handle WM7, its the fact that its got 5 buttons vs the specific 3 and its older that are making them not want to put out an update for it vs the fill original install.

I am not sure what you mean by backing into a corner with WM6.5. The OS works very well, much better than 6.1 Perfect no, but it is an improvement. The OS will vanish but that does not mean its useless.

I've played with all of them and keep sticking with WM for various reasons that fit my needs. Same reason why people go with the others, doesnt mean one is "better" than the other. I do hope some of the new applications and games for WM7 will still function in WM6.5 depending on what the game needs with live and such. But I usually use my phones so hard they last a year or a year ½ anyway.

Windows Mobile and you run an AMD platform, apparently your a masochist, I bet you have a Zune too. To be honest, it's great that you're a fan boy for your phone and it's aging OS. I just don't like to see people waste their money on generic hardware and a non relevant OS.

Wait for the N1 if you don't feel like being a sheeple and overpaying through subsidized contracts or dropping hundreds of dollars on a new phone every 8-10 months.

Windows Mobile and you run an AMD platform, apparently your a masochist, I bet you have a Zune too. To be honest, it's great that you're a fan boy for your phone and it's aging OS. I just don't like to see people waste their money on generic hardware and a non relevant OS.

Wait for the N1 if you don't feel like being a sheeple and overpaying through subsidized contracts or dropping hundreds of dollars on a new phone every 8-10 months.

How did this turn into a personal attack? We all have our preference I can't call you an idiot for liking what you like because thats just you. Why are you thread shitting and calling people stuff you probably don't know?

The N1 and the HD2 are both great phones, which ever people choose they will most likely be happy with it. I have numerous people trade up from the N1 and say they were quite happy.

I have seen tons of threads of people returning their brand new HD2 and going back to Android or Apple. The Nexus-One if rooted and Sense-UI is one bad ass phone.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

How did this turn into a personal attack? We all have our preference I can't call you an idiot for liking what you like because thats just you. Why are you thread shitting and calling people stuff you probably don't know?

The N1 and the HD2 are both great phones, which ever people choose they will most likely be happy with it. I have numerous people trade up from the N1 and say they were quite happy.

Personal attack, no; pointing out a trend, yes. You and others are giving bad advice, point blank.

Get the N1.

Update: Just today Engadet posted an article about WM7 being ported to HD2. If you really want WM you could stick with the HD2 and wait for the userbased port to come out. Personally I'd still go with the N1.

Last edited:
I have the Nexus One and I can tell you, it is fucking bad ass.

Totally agree. Just got my Nexus on Friday, and rooted it with the Sense-UI mod, and loving this phone so much. It blows away my old iPhone3G, no comparison. I have been with T-Mobile for almost 8yrs, and hav ea killer contract with them, so will stay here, cool thing with this phone, it uses the brand new "H" network on T-Mo, which is like 3.5G :D

Will skip the EVO 4G, I have heard from my T-Mo sources that they will be getting a similar phone themselves to the EVO, in the Fall or Holiday season.

Totally agree. Just got my Nexus on Friday, and rooted it with the Sense-UI mod, and loving this phone so much. It blows away my old iPhone3G, no comparison. I have been with T-Mobile for almost 8yrs, and hav ea killer contract with them, so will stay here, cool thing with this phone, it uses the brand new "H" network on T-Mo, which is like 3.5G :D

Will skip the EVO 4G, I have heard from my T-Mo sources that they will be getting a similar phone themselves to the EVO, in the Fall or Holiday season.

I did not know that about the H Network, makes waiting for my N1 to come in today even more exciting.

I did not know that about the H Network, makes waiting for my N1 to come in today even more exciting.

You have to live in a city that has the "H" network setup, it is not an official network from T-Mo just yet, still under testing, I heard they will unveil it this Fall, with some new phone releases. But hear in Chicago my N-One goes back and forth between "H" and 3G. My phone is rooted, not sure if non_rooted phones pick it up ?

My friend had a huge dilemma picking between the Nexus One and the HD2. He ended up with the HD2 because it was cheaper to buy at full price. I would say get the Nexus One because its on Andriod.

Back