Need a new laptop, dell again?

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
So it's time to pass along my aging inspiron for something new with a dual core processor and larger memory support.

I have a pretty tight budget, but I am mainly just looking for a nice processor with a good shell. I can upgrade memory, hdd, dvd, etc at a later date. I need minimal graphics power, no games or anything, just the ability to occasionally edit images, flash, and at least run Aero. 70% of use would be work, so programming, email, messaging, etc.

The Vostro series looks pretty good, I can configure a 1500 series to fit most criteria. However, I have never seen one in person, so I am not sure about the aesthetics and functionality. I am also curios if there is anything better I should be looking at besides Dell.

I would set my budget at around $6-650.00, which seems a little low, but I don't appear to be asking for much considering what is out there these days. So, anything out there that could be better in my situation then a Vostro? Some random Acer, maybe a Gateway?

SHowever, I have never seen one in person, so I am not sure about the aesthetics and functionality.

In person they do look a bit less 'meh' than in the pictures on Dell's website. I know it is a "business" machine, but whoever was in marketing for that one must have been having a bad day. You won't confuse one with a more sexy looking laptop by any means, but they aren't hideous. As far as functionality goes they are about the same as anything else you are going to find in your budget range.

The Vostro line is hard to beat price wise, but be sure to check around and make sure you don't miss any deals. B&M stores (CompUSA is going out of business for one) might have some deals for you to consider too.

EDIT: If looks are important to you, then you might want to focus on the lower end laser etched HPs. I think they are the king of budget aesthetics right now, however looks in a machine is a very personal thing so ymmv.

here's a copy and paste from one of my other threads (12/17/07):

i went with the vostro 1500. i got an email with a $599 special. i upgraded the video card and ended up with the following specs for $699. how did i do? i'm pleased with it.

i might upgrade to 2GB from newegg for $40 and sell the 1GB from dell (~$20?), but since i went with windows xp, i figured it might not be an immediate upgrade. i will test it out when i get it (ship date 1/2/07)

1 Intel Core; 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

1 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display (matte finish)

1 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

1 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

1 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

1 Genuine Windows; XP Home Edition

1 Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

1 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ Roxio Creator

1 High Definition Audio 2.0

1 Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card, Windows;XP OS Only

1 No Webcam Option

1 No Pre-installed Productivity Software

1 Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application

1 No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software

1 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

1 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service

1 1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup

1 Dell Network Assistant

1 Purchase is not intended for resale.

1 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

1 Windows XP

ps - you can save $100 if you take out the nvidia 8600M GT and replace it with the 8400M GS. let me know if you want me to pass the email along to you (i don't know if the deal is still available). ship date is 1/2/08

Back