need a new game

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone
I'm looking for a new game to sate my addiction... I'm looking for something really about $40 or less. Its been a while since I really "got into" a game, even though i've played dozens. I have a few restrictions on what I can play, mainly due to my technology.

1. Replayability (number 1 for a reason see restriction 3)

2. less then $50, I'll take 50 if it is REALLY worth it. Its been a while since I have had a game actually worth it (fallout 3 is the only one in the past few years worth $50 to me)

3. Not dependent on an online component, This is the real kicker, where I live I can't get DSL or cable. I currently use my smartphone as my modem and we haven't switched to EVDO Rev.A yet (coming soon I hope using rev.O) That means I have a very slow 2mb connection with abysmal ping times.

I've played many games from crysis and cysis warhead to both stalkers to NWN2 to Sins of a solar empire, CoH, and WoW. plus many more including the entire PC CoD collection since it came out. I've been a PC gamer since 1994 (or earlier if you count games on my tandy) I miss games like starcraft, diablo, the old jane's sim games, tie-fighter(though freelancer was good) hell I even found limited enjoyment in battlecruiser 3000AD.

Is there any modern game that will let you get the fulfillment we used to get playing these old games???

I'd recommend supreme commander, but without good internet for multiplayer the replayability is limited.

The Witcher would probably be an excellent choice.

Try Red Alert 3. Very satisfying campaign mode, and plenty of maps available for skirmish mode.

If you havent played "The Witcher" yet, its amaaaazing. I'd def reccomend that

Burnout Paradise!!!, For 40 bucks, no cd needed, however a one time online activation during cd key entry is needed. Apart from that its Single Player is over 30+ hours, and games runs on most hardware at 60FPS constant. I'd suggest u try the demo first, but given ur internet connection, its quite large at 3gb, and probably isnt very feasible. But do consider it, an awesome racer for pc.

I have the witcher:enhanced edition and its an awesome game. I also have spore, but the gameplay of that is lacking. Tthe objects and creatures are really just placeholders for generic units.

I've thought about RA3 before, I played the original but not the second one.
I'm also looking at DoW or DoW2

DOW2 is completley integreated with steam and games for windows live, suffice to say, a broadband connection is mandatory.

DOW2 is completley integreated with steam and games for windows live, suffice to say, a broadband connection is mandatory.

Not mandatory if he's going to be offline. Set Steam to offline mode after your first activation, use an offline GFWL profile, and never need to connect to play single player again.

Burnout Paradise is a pretty good arcade racer. I tend to get bored of Burnout games over time. Apparently Criteron is planning to add a lot of downloadable content to the game, which may weigh in on your decision.

Dawn of War II seems like a decent strategy game, but it may not have a lot of offline replayability.

As for my internet connection, I mainly meant it about my ping times. Downloading is fine, though I wish I still had my 8 meg cable connection from college. I regularly get on steam, though if I decide on DoW2, I would definitely buy it from the store because it would take a few days to download it at 200kb/s(the max on this connection on steams servers) I do not like GfWL though because for some reason I can't connect to my profile from the GfWL client. I think it has something to do with packet transmission on my phone. Anyway the lack of internet is mainly for online multiplayer. I've tried it with a few of my friends on several games and it playes well for a bit then drops. EVDO rev.A is supposed to fix that but we will see. My ping in games is around 200.

Back