Need a new card for my rig Q_Q

Snooble

Gawd
Howdy all

My good old GTX280 just burnt out...it's served me well in the past couple of years, but well, I have no choice but to upgrade.

My rig is as follows :
Core i5 750
4gigs DDR3
Gigabye PA 55UD3R (Crossfire, no SLi)
750watt PSU
24" 1920x1680 / 20" 1650x1020 (or whatever, just run duel so I can play MMOs and surf facebook at the same time lol).

I prefer NVidia, and I don't have the biggest budget. I want a noticeable performance boost over my 280. I was thinking in the realm of a GeForce 560 or the Ti variant.

I play all manner of games, from MMO's to shooters to emulators.

I just need help deciding, I'm so pissed right now I could knaw a hole through a tree. :mad:

A GTX560Ti is probably about 60% better than the 280. I'd avoid the normal 560, as that's more like 40%, not really worth it.

All 560Tis are the same performance apart from the clock speed, and what clock speed you don't have at the start, you can overclock to make up for. Very few cards you can buy are clocked so high that you wouldn't be able to attain such speeds with another type (and in such circumstances there is usually minimal headroom above that point) - so get the cheapest one that's from a brand you're happy to buy from.

GTX280 should have still have warranty on it depending on the maker and if you still have your receipts.

But if you are looking for an upgrade that won't make a hole in your pocket look at the 6950's ($249 on newegg) or GTX 560 Ti superclocked ($249 amazon), if they are in your price range you can't go wrong with either one.

Here is a link for benchmarks:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Card is XFX, it was a warranty return from another card a while ago. No warranty on it :(

A GTX560Ti is probably about 60% better than the 280. I'd avoid the normal 560, as that's more like 40%, not really worth it.
whoa there. at 1920, a stock gtx280 and stock gtx460 are basically even with only about 5% between them overall. and a gtx560 Ti is 30-35% faster than a gtx460. so no way would a gtx560 Ti be 60% faster overall than a gtx280. it would be more like 40% difference overall. of course as usual it will depend on drivers and the actual game as the newer gpus usually widen the gap over times.

Card is XFX, it was a warranty return from another card a while ago. No warranty on it :(

Well if it was a warranty replacement then that card should be covered too. Call XFX and see if they'll swap it for you. With some luck they may upgrade you to something more current. I have a gut feeling they will indeed honor the warranty even on the warranty replacement part.

Anyway, give them a call as it can't hurt to ask. Better to get a no then to chip some teeth trying to nibble through a tree out of frustration. ;)

whoa there. at 1920, a stock gtx280 and stock gtx460 are basically even with only about 5% between them overall. and a gtx560 Ti is 30-35% faster than a gtx460. so no way would a gtx560 Ti be 60% faster overall than a gtx280. it would be more like 40% difference overall. of course as usual it will depend on drivers and the actual game as the newer gpus usually widen the gap over times.

Don't forget there are different GTX460s. I generally see the GTX280 behind the GTX460 768MB, maybe closer to the GTX460SE. The GTX280 is slower than the basic 768MB 460, but the GTX285 is faster than it. The GTX560Ti (not the standard) seems to score about 50% beyond the 768MB 460, and about 25% beyond the 1GB version. Add them up and I come to about 60% overall.

img.php

Here the 560Ti is about 55% stronger than the 280.

Back