Need a MIDI keyboard

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
12,372
I've been trying to find a good keyboard for MIDI work. The M-Audio keyboards seem lackluster. I definitely need a good action, as I'm used to playing a real piano. The closer to a real piano the better. I don't want a keyboard with keys that feel empty. Portability isn't necessary, as it'll reside in my home studio.

Lots of keys, please! The only affordable keyboard with promise I've come across is the Yamaha NP30 for $300. That's the most I'd like to spend.

There isn't really anywhere to go to demo keyboards besides Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.
 
Casio PX-120. I have it, and it is brilliant among budget pianos. It has weighted 88 keys/nice touch/ 11 tones and tons of features. Most people will suggest it over the Yamaha entry-levels for it's awesome piano action. The Privia series really out done itself, a lot of people are impressed with the Privia line.

The NP30 is quite junk, I returned mine and bought the PX-120. You can probably find the Casio PX-120 for a good price. 100-150$ more than the NP30 new, or less for used.

Best Buy in America has the whole PX-120 set for $599 (stand, 3 pedal set, etc.), but if you just want the keyboard it's around $430 - 499. Definitely go for that if you're used to a piano, it is really praised as having good action comparatively to the Yamaha's in the same price range (P-85, YPG-635)

If all you can get is the NP30, then you'll have to ask yourself if it's worth it. Personally, the touch compared to the Casio, is in one word, laughable.

I'd say wait a bit to get a piano, and save up for at least the PX-120. It is the most recommended budget piano, that and it's big brother the PX-320.
 
It doesn't have MIDI. Only the PX110 and PX575 do, and they're even more expensive. I don't even wanna spend the $300 on the Yamaha NP30. That's the absolute max.
 
It does have MIDI. lol.

MIDI in/out. I use it with PianoTeq software...

Well if you are looking for good touch, it's not going to be available at such a low price range. The PX-120 is the lucky exception, but it's over your budget.

If you want 76 keys and can handle synth-like action instead of piano-like action, then get the NP30.

Also, those models you listed are really old. They are not more expensive, the PX-110 is a generation younger.
 
The Casio WK-110/WK-200 is nice if you want something under $200. It only has General MIDI via USB though, not via actual MIDI connectors so I don't think it could take advantage of your soundcard. (could be wrong though)
 
I have a Focusrite Saffire, which has true MIDI port. Why doesn't any product description list MIDI for the PX120?
 
Guitar Center's site lists MIDI. Just wish I had the money to get one, plus a stand and pedal.
 
^ I got a crazy deal for the premium stand, high quality bench, and 3-pedal system for $399 CDN. It was on clearance, and there was only one left.. so I lucked out.

Try looking for a used one man, I wouldn't settle for anything less if you want piano-touch.

Otherwise, NP30 is your next closest bet, but I wouldn't settle for it if it was me.
 
I may have to suffer for awhile until I have the money for a piano-like keyboard, or a Motif. And right now samples are more important anyway.

Any experience with M-Audio Axiom?
 
Some argue touch is most important over anything. Samples can be fixed by using midi and piano software which in most cases far exceeds built in sounds found in digi's.

I'd say save up, if you can't, then try out one of those M-Audios before you let down a purchase on it
 
I can't save up. I need a workstation now. I suppose I could make the trip to Guitar Center sometime. No way I'm buying from then and paying sales tax on top of high prices. :D
 
Back
Top