• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need a Mic

J_I_M_B_O

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
400
Does anyone know where I can find somthing decent to record sound to my pc with? I don't really want a headset or a mic that sits on your desk. What else is there. And btw, I need it for various media applications, videos, music, ect
 
You don't want a headset..... or a mic that sits on your desk....
Does that mean you are looking for a hand held mic (or one that can be put on a mic stand)?

If you want a basic mic for ~20$, then the Audio Technica ATR20 is decent as are some of the cheap radio shack ones.
If around the 200$ mark, the beyerdynamic TG-X80 (and its older version) come highly recommended for vocals.

Not quite sure what you had in mind for videos (do you mean like making movies). Are you talking about a boom mic? For those type of applications, the standard shotgun mics work (as well as fitted to the camera).

I don't really see one mic being used for all these applications....... care to explain a bit more?
 
Yeah, that's it, a boom mic or a shotgun mic, but it needs to interface throught the computer, not a camera. I was refering to adding sounds and voice to videos after their recording.

And also I use digital video. and my camera doesn't have a jack for a mic, if it did-I'd already have one. Is there another way?
 
How professional are you intending to get with this, and what is your budget like?

From the sound of what you intend to do based on your post, it doesn't sound like it is worth going into detail about preamps and hardware interfaces and the like since that's probably overkill. Have you considered a microphone with USB output? I've heard good things (at least for this price range) about mics such as the BLUE Snowball and the Samson C01U. I can tell you from personal experience that Blue makes fantastic microphones, and the Samson is nice and cheap (I can't vouch for its quality as I've used very little of their equipment-- they are well known, though FWIW). I'm sure there are other USB microphones out now if you're willing to shop around a bit.

If you decide to go analog, for reliability and versatility alone, I would recommend microphones from Shure. If you're doing primarily vocals, you can't go wrong with the Beta 58; it is about as ubiquitous as they come. For slightly lower vocal performance, but a much better "all around" mic, the Beta 57 is great, too. Overall, the Shure Beta series are probably some of the most popular microphones on the planet for live sound... If those are above your budget, the SM58 and SM57 are very good as well.
 
Back
Top