need a looong ide cable

nightwing36

Limp Gawd
where can i find on the net a really long ide cable? i need about a 6-8 foot cable to do a setup in a car..

not going to work...the IDE standard won't support a cable that long. You'll get signal corruption, which is BAD.

Hmm....I'm guessing you're gonna have like a cd-rom in the dashboard and the computer in the truck or backseat? Might wanna just build the entire computer into the dash. I don't even think they make anything longer than 3 feet anyway...unless you go and make it yourself.

Well I've heard of people making longass ide cables like that, though as everyone else said it's way out of spec. Only way it'll happen is if you buy the cable and the connectors and make it yourself. It may work, but cars are pretty damn dirty as far as interference goes.

Id use a usb2.0 cable/ controller. That will give you your length.

how long can a scsi cable be, not to jack up the price or anything :p

Originally posted by tim
how long can a scsi cable be, not to jack up the price or anything :p
Scsi cables can be pretty long. I'm not sure of the exact spec but I'm thinking at least a couple meters, but it gets expensive fast.

7 meters, I *think*. no SCSI expert, but for some reason that number sticks out in my mind. SATA is an option, too.

New SCSI is 4.5 meteres

IDE should be no longer than 18 inches, 20 can be done

SATA i am not sure of

USB 2.0 can be really long i immagine... you might wnat to look into that

A 3 foot or longer SCSI cable would be insanely expensive.

IDE should not be longer than 18 inches. You could *maybe* stretch it out to 24 inches at the most.

Use a USB cable, or better yet - get a NAS ethernet storage device and have the computer boot from the network card, then you can go up to 328 feet.

Yea def go usb, a little slower but for the range thats your only option.

i dont know about usb 2.0... however,

I do know that they say not to go longer than 16 feet for usb 1. However I remember seeing an episode of Screensavers on TechTV test this and they said they extended it about 100+ feet and didnt see any loss of data or other problems.

Originally posted by ZenOps
Use a USB cable, or better yet - get a NAS ethernet storage device and have the computer boot from the network card, then you can go up to 328 feet.
isn't cat5 max length more like 295 feet, not that we need that much length (i could be wrong)

Originally posted by tim
isn't cat5 max length more like 295 feet, not that we need that much length (i could be wrong)
Cat5 can be as long as you want, but the ethernet standard is max 100 meters over UTP, which is about 328 feet. Though I think ethernet and nas is a bit hardcore for a car installation.

I'd vote for the USB otion- the encased cable would work really well for routing thru all of the nooks and crannies. Signal degredation would be taken care of too. Any system you'd work with that would be worth the effort would have USB.

Helluva lot easier and more reliable than rigging up a half-ass IDE setup.

I looked once into that kind of setup for my car once.
Turns out that some people have made some that work fine by cutting an IDE cable in half and splicing in some CAT5 however you have to be really good at soldering and have lots of spare IDE cables lying around.
Best bet is to use one of the (more word to Firewire, USB, SATA, ect.) standards that is certified for longer cable lengths without much signal loss.
good luck!

I did the car computer ~ a year ago. took it out and got a new laptop.... much much better.

Originally posted by ZenOps
A 3 foot or longer SCSI cable would be insanely expensive.

Not if you buy the cable and connectors and make it yourself.
That is what I used to do so I could have the connectors where they needed to be in the case.

The crimping tool is less than $20.

Originally posted by SJetski71
http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=12799+FL

Would something like this help with signal corruption? On a long ide cable that is...
yeh some.... but a car is full of emi, it might do a little but not enuf to clear up what will most likely be going though a 3" IDE cable. You would need a amplifer/filter and maybe you could pull it off. I stick with my USB2.0.

hey guys, everyone said printer cables couldnt possibly be over 15 feet, but i have to go digging for an article of a guy that made one 192 feet long, and it worked fine. i dont see why we couldnt jerry-rig a long ide and hope weget the same luck

Originally posted by heyheyhey
hey guys, everyone said printer cables couldnt possibly be over 15 feet, but i have to go digging for an article of a guy that made one 192 feet long, and it worked fine. i dont see why we couldnt jerry-rig a long ide and hope weget the same luck
can anyone say corrupted page file within 2 min?

Back