Need a logo made - $20

offthewall2005

Bad Trader
Alright a need a logo made, it will be used for 2 things, first is for a design to go on the front of a tee shirt, like the polo guy on polo shirts on the pocket, and the second is to go on letter head and business cards etc...

The company is called 'Tri County Car Service'. If somecan can come up with something good including a little picture or something, i will paypal you $20 once we get all the little kinks worked out...

Thanks

4b5eN+EE said:
expect to pay MUCH more for a good logo

ahah 20 bux ahah let me spend 5 minutes ahah. Yeah dude expect to spend like 500 for a real logo.

Doesnt show u really care about this company you dont have any colors picked out. What kind of people would use this service? All these are factors that have to be cleared up when making a logo. Example: If youre making a logo for a make up company youre not going to make something bold and rought. You need to make something thats smooth and lite and that woman will like.

I suggest you rethink what you want to communicate to your customer. I dont think that you will get too many people to use your service for $20.

I guess what people are saying is true, but with computer capabilities and programs available today, like hell I'd pay $100s for a logo. I can just make one myself. Granted, it will take more than 5 minutes, but say take a week in your spare-time you can have a good one worked out. Once you have the main one, producing variations is even easier.

So just do it yourself. But yeah, $20 would probably just get some hack job.

Your logo is the face of your company. It's how customers will know you. How do you want to appear?

I'm not saying he needs to hire a high end branding agency. However if you were willing to spend say at least $400 you could probably hire a college graphic design student who at least had some clue what they were doing. Call a college near you, find out if they have a design program, talk to a professor. There is a good chance they can put you in touch with a student.

Or if you want someone better go hit up the AIGA website and browse the members in your area.
http://www.aiga.org/

I think that you need to find a designer and form a good working relationship with them. Help them understand what your company is about and what your goals are.

I'm afraid that a forum dedicated to computers where they can't even spell Artwork right isn't the best place to find someone to design your mark.

Parkaboy said:
I'm afraid that a forum dedicated to computers where they can't even spell Artwork right isn't the best place to find someone to design your mark.
Hey, that was on purpose! :p

But as others have pointed out, you cannot expect professional results offering a paltry $20 on teh intarweb. I would rather help out a worthwhile non-profit for free. Maybe some 14-year-old hotshot will jump on it, though.

I admittedly would accept that $20 for a decent job. If it takes less than an hour that is and if it at least boosts my experience.

My name is Jeff and I have absolutely no experience with Photoshop. :D

-J.

ill take it for $200 :)

but ill use illustrator so you could make it the size of a building if you felt like it...stupid n00bs with photoshop :p

jk about the n00b part

4b5eN+EE said:
ill take it for $200 :)

but ill use illustrator so you could make it the size of a building if you felt like it...stupid n00bs with photoshop :p

jk about the n00b part
the gimp is the best photo editor anyway

MS-Paint Rulez!

chop.bmp

20$ plz! KTHNXU! OMG HI!

i'll take a stab at it. $20 pays for my gas to work for a week. and i've got time cause i'm watching this damn progress bar on FCP. help me form some ideas and i'll throw something together. perhaps you'll take it. perhaps you won't. we'll see

thats pretty funny since a service call will likely run $40 or more
so your going to spend more money on a single shirt than the logo?

you need a 3rd world forum

Don't even bother wasting your time to make a logo.

The OP, offthewall2005, hasn't even replied to made an appearance in this thread since he posted it. I doubt he'll even respond to your logo if you made one. And Ice Czar, you hit the nail on the head.. :D

ahah 3rd world Iraqie forum aha thats funny ahah even though he is probably crushed and is attempting to make his own logo in MS paint its pretty darn entertaining to comment on this post ahah keep it up guys. Someone should make a contest section or something...

I'm certain that big corporations pay someone $1000s for their logos. But have you looked carefully? Do you really think you couldn't have made the equivalent in a week tops using basic photo-software? For giggles, I hopped over to SBC and checked out their logo. In the upper-left of the page. Wow! Unicolor, well, two if you count the white background. A week would be overkill really, I say maybe one day of planning, and a second to get it finalized. Looks worth about $20 to me, although I'm sure they paid royally for it. Then I went to microsoft and intel's pages. Both just use their name, although intel drops the 'e' about half-a-letter down. Sure, that took a lot of insight.

Empyrean said:
Then I went to microsoft and intel's pages. Both just use their name, although intel drops the 'e' about half-a-letter down. Sure, that took a lot of insight.

but look how long ms and intel have been around....

they have the name going for them.. they dont need thousands spent on a pretty picture :)

Empyrean said:
I'm certain that big corporations pay someone $1000s for their logos. But have you looked carefully? Do you really think you couldn't have made the equivalent in a week tops using basic photo-software? For giggles, I hopped over to SBC and checked out their logo. In the upper-left of the page. Wow! Unicolor, well, two if you count the white background. A week would be overkill really, I say maybe one day of planning, and a second to get it finalized. Looks worth about $20 to me, although I'm sure they paid royally for it. Then I went to microsoft and intel's pages. Both just use their name, although intel drops the 'e' about half-a-letter down. Sure, that took a lot of insight.

spend a week getting a committee of 5 people to agree on just a color much less a mark and then tell me its worth $20

your ignorance of the process required for design is profound

Keep inmind that those corporations have spent millions of drilling those logos into your head.

rawr7yh.jpg

I wins tis l337 contestzorz!

LIKE I MUST WINZORZ 1MILLION DOLLARS PLEASEZORZ MOREZ FORZ!

LIKE WOW I WINS!!!!

LOL

*Note I am purposely typing in bad grammar! :D

Empyrean said:
For giggles, I hopped over to SBC and checked out their logo. In the upper-left of the page. Wow! Unicolor, well, two if you count the white background. A week would be overkill really, I say maybe one day of planning, and a second to get it finalized. Looks worth about $20 to me, although I'm sure they paid royally for it. Then I went to microsoft and intel's pages. Both just use their name, although intel drops the 'e' about half-a-letter down. Sure, that took a lot of insight.

Wow you so dont know the industry.. if you think its so easy why dont u go out and make logos for companies. theres alot more to it than you think

spend a week getting a committee of 5 people to agree on just a color much less a mark and then tell me its worth $20

your ignorance of the process required for design is profound

You are easily impressed! Money talks, I guess. BTW, I did say "I'm certain that big corporations pay someone $1000s for their logos." Are you saying I'm ignorant because I didn't say $10000s or $100000s? Or that I said 'someone' rather than 'some group'? I didn't investigate into the exact magnitude spent by corporations. I'm sorry. My point was there is a lot of wasted money there when you look at the final product. I understand that getting people with huge egos to agree on something will cost lots of money. I understand that pounding your logo into people's minds through advertising will cost millions. But that isn't the point here.

You are trying to convince someone that they must pay lots of money to get a quality logo, and I think that is pretty ignorant. With slight imaging skills or by talking to the right people he can get the logo for a much more managable price. $20 is probably a joke, but several hundred is a joke also (unless he must purchase image-editting software in which case the software itself costs that).

Wow you so dont know the industry.. if you think its so easy why dont u go out and make logos for companies. theres alot more to it than you think

No, I get how it's done. I just think it is laughable when you look at the final product. Take Lucent Technologies and that logo. I know several people who were with AT&T when Lucent was miscarried, and the popular concensus had the logo dubbed, 'the flaming asshole'. And no one could believe the company spent what they did for it, when they could've done better personally with MS Paint.

There comes a point in time.

When the proverbial thread has been beat with a dead horse.

I think we have gotten there :rolleyes:

/thread

Its alot harder to come up with the logo than you think its. yeah it looks simple thats because it has to be simple and elegant... im not sure u know what a logo is..it aint some fluffed up graphic with 'cool' filtered effects. The logo has to summarize and represent the company, while being unique and flexible in terms of logo placement.

what i gather from your posts are that you think that most 'professionally' made logos are worth less than what was paid.. and you dont understand that all professionaly logos have deeper conotations/meanings that when it is explained its fully understood...

now my summary of the process that is logo creation (from the studios i worked at) :

1. Given a corporate 'bible' of sorts to follow it can contain color schemes, and what hte company is about

2. sketch out a bunch of logos... first making it look good as a black and white logo
-has to fit into letterheads, business cards, signs..etc.... so no bullshit fluff 'cool' gfx/

3. designers then create a vector logo with their prefered vector program... they lay it all out and print for presentation

4. present about let say 10-15 logos from which the client can pick from..they pick and go on from there...

this process may last a few weeks or even months ..it depends

and something else most designers i know charge upwards from $100 an hour.

We'll never see eye-to-eye. I dont' think that a logo is made by KeWl 3FF3X0r5 d00d! That is why I said MS Paint, no filters there. I only suggest more capable image editting programs for their layering capabilities, which makes component positioning much easier and more precise. Also, the gradient effect seems to be common trend in many logos.

I guess there are people who want to spend $100 an hour on a team of 10 for 6 months. They can look through a pre-selected color chart and come up with an iconic representation for 'robust'. I call shenanigans. You all seem to think it's legit (probably cause you're on the $ receiving end of it.) You call me ignorant. Whatever. The whole thing seems like a Dilbert charade to me. The logo must be developed from the pre-approved process. Take pride in the process... the expensive process.

So, how much did [H] spend on its logo?

nothing, i would assume. they did it themselves (again...assuming)

which you CAN do you know.....its not like you HAVE to spend $100+ an hour to have someone make the logo for you

although...my motto is composition is everything. and since these guys have gone to school for or just know what good good composition is id say they could do a damn good job at it. so i feel it IS worth the premium you pay for a good logo

just keep in mind that a logo is something that is supposed to stick in your mind. so if you want the customers to have the impression that your a crappy company, because you have a crappy cheap logo, then go ahead

it makes alot more of a difference than you think

4b5eN+EE said:
nothing, i would assume. they did it themselves (again...assuming)
Nothing but time, perhaps. For most people, time is far from free; you've all heard the saying. There are plenty of companies and even self-employed graphic designers out there who can save you the time and make a logo for you without sending you through a multi-thousand-dollar, year-long process.

But even for a starving college graphic design major (of which there are plenty in my town), $20 will buy you maybe a half an hour of time. A half an hour is hardly even enough time to establish communications and talk about the basic concept. Realistically, you'll probably go through a few different revisions and have to deal with file formats and transfers and all of that, and the time will add up.

Back