Need a little help with HD to HD copy speed. Win 10 pro Ryzen 7 1700x

RemoW

n00b
My new system has 2 physical HDs. A 1tb Samsung HD103SJ and a WDC WD80FAX-68LHPn0. Copying from the WDC to the Samsung I will get anywhere from 168mb to as slow as 87mb. That is fine. But if I copy from anywhere to the WDC I will get 10 to 15 MB transfer rate. I have been fighting this for a month. I swapped ports, sata cables, you name it.

I have the latest chipset drivers installed. But the sata drivers seem to be standard MS stuff. The WDC drive is stripped from an external Easystore drive. It worked fine on my old box with a 965BE and Win 7.

Anyone have a thoughts or ideas? I just put my old win 7 box back together and I am going to out it in there for some copy testing and see what I get.

HELP!

Dan...

MSI x370 pro carbon MB
16g ram

was it formatted in w7 or w10 when you created the partition? only thing i can really think of.. also are you using the drive in either of the 1-4 sata ports? believe on most of the boards those use the SoC while the others use the chipset.

Does formatting on W7 or W10 make a difference? It is using the NTFS that it came with from the enclosure. I had considered reformatting it. I will look up the SATA port count and move to 1-4 if it is not on there already.

Dan...

Have you checked the SMART drive data to see if something abnormal is happening? Like SATA errors for example.

You might have to go into the UEFI for the motherboard and possibly enable SMART diagnostics for your drives (Some motherboards disable SMART as a default). After you've verified that SMART is enabled, use something like HWINFO to read the SMART status of the drives in question.

Long shot, have you checked the block size? Was it formatted with really small blocks? Great for I/O not so great for writing. If so a reformat *might* fix it.

Back