Need a light work laptop. Something used.

SavageThrash

Limp Gawd
Hey all. Looking to pickup a used notebook for work. It's primary use is going to be for USB kvm useage. It will be up and down ladders and will need to be moved into some weird spots.

I'm looking at lenovos primarily. I have a t9600 and some extra ddr2 sodimm lying around so something I could upgrade with that would be nice.

Ive seen lots of t60 and t61 but i dont either would be accepting of a t9600. p45 and g45 should take that cpu though.

Any ideas guys? I'd also consider something Asus.

Would something actually like the Baytrail devices work? Believe it or not performance is actually comparable to a C2D Mobile.

Baytrail may work but I don't want to be spending anymore than 300 ideally as I will be footing this bill. Work thinks I can somehow use my 18.4 inch 14lbs desktop replacement as a work machine. That's not going to happen for a couple reasons.

x200 may work. I see some online for around 200 or so.

Thanks

I think the Dell Venue 8 Pro is $200 at Microcenter in the US (someone else would have to confirm this, since I'm not even form the US :p). But in general the 8 inch BayTrail Tablets are pretty cheap. Would be ultra portable as well even compared to small laptop.

I think the Dell Venue 8 Pro is $200 at Microcenter in the US (someone else would have to confirm this, since I'm not even form the US :p). But in general the 8 inch BayTrail Tablets are pretty cheap. Would be ultra portable as well even compared to small laptop.

Yeah the Venue 8 Pro makes a lot of sense in this case. Although, it might make more sense to get the Venue Pro 11, and then sell the Office 2013 key it comes with on eBay. The 11 might work better for him as it has a USB port.

Yeah the Venue 8 Pro makes a lot of sense in this case. Although, it might make more sense to get the Venue Pro 11, and then sell the Office 2013 key it comes with on eBay. The 11 might work better for him as it has a USB port.

Unfortunately I am in Canada and the USB port will be needed as the KVM is USB. I don't know if there is Windows 8 support with the KVM software yet. Im inclined to say there isn't. I think its Windows 7 and Linux only at this time.

If it works in 7 it should work in 8. Install 8 in a VM and try it out. You get 30 days to evaluate.

Back