Need a Headphones Amp

Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
751
I recently just purchased the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones and I know I'm going to need a good amp to go with them, is there one that any of you can recommend? I have my eyes mainly on the Gilmore Lite but the only downside is that it's going to take 2 months to build, then another week to ship. I'd rather have something sooner.
 
I recently just purchased the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones and I know I'm going to need a good amp to go with them, is there one that any of you can recommend? I have my eyes mainly on the Gilmore Lite but the only downside is that it's going to take 2 months to build, then another week to ship. I'd rather have something sooner.

Try to find someone with an already-built unit on Head-Fi.org

Nice cans :)
 
I'd grab a CC Box+ if you want something good,but not overly pricy.Or maybe something small from RSA ? If you dont mind spending a little more scratch that is,and want something better.JMHO.
 
Maybe you can commission Mister X to build you something? Ask for a time quote on something like a PPAv2 or the M^3 (or even the beta 22 if you're looking to spend more money).
 
The 650s can definitely benefit from an amp. It is much more resolving than the HD555 or its contemporaries. Some amps you should consider include Singlepower's offerings, the GS-1 (awesome), M3.
 
The 650s can definitely benefit from an amp. It is much more resolving than the HD555 or its contemporaries. Some amps you should consider include Singlepower's offerings, the GS-1 (awesome), M3.

GS-1 would take the same time or longer as the Gilmore Lite to build.
 
I run a pimeta from MisterX. I would get HEED for those bad boys. You could always sell it later if you choose.
 
I've seen a few PPA's on head-fi recently... oh and a singlepower PPX3 SLAM that I really really really want... but can't afford. I heard one on Saturday w/ my Senn HD580's (Hd600 grills and cardas cable) and they were a match made in heaven...
 
How does the Meier Audio Arietta stack up with the Gilmore Lite? They're about evenly priced.
 
How much do you want to spend? Tube or SS? Lots of choices , what is your source, the type of music you listen to?
 
I really don't know what I want, tube or ss, I'll be using my computer as my source primarily. I listen to rock, techno, classical and jazz...and other stuff o_O Another big thing will be movies, I watch a lot of movies
 
I don't understand the praise for the CanAmp. If I wanted an NE5532 with a couple BD139s in a feedback loop, I'd just throw it on a breadboard. Maybe headphone audio is experiencing a "back to our roots" thing? >.>

The Dynalo/Gilmore Lite is a fine amp. I've found it to work pretty well with the HD650. Justin is a good guy and his stuff seems well built, at least that which I've used. I think it'd take it over the Heed or one of the RSA amps, especially if price/performance is the concern.
 
I really don't know what I want, tube or ss, I'll be using my computer as my source primarily. I listen to rock, techno, classical and jazz...and other stuff o_O Another big thing will be movies, I watch a lot of movies

I heart my millett. I wouldn't give it up for the world. :cool:
 
Talked to Justin Gilmore and he said the realistic build time right nwo is only 4 weeks. So that's not as bad, I think I might hit him up for the G-Lite.
 
Gilmore Lite is $300 with standard PS $500 with dedicated PS..Which one are you thinkin of? A lot of good amps in that price range.
 
Probably start out with just the amp then get the dedicated power supply later on, would buying a monster power cleaner be the same effect as getting the dedicated power supply? I can get one cheap.
 
Back
Top